Roommate's birthday dinner?

I'm 35, divorced, 2 kids. My SO's roommate's birthday is coming up, & they (friends,) are going out to dinner. This has kind of become a tradition for my SO & his birthdays. I am not real close w/the roommate & their friends are all in their 20s w/o kids. The dinner is this weekend, & I was invited to go with my SO, but I have my kids. I see them so little that I don't like to do things without them on my weekends. He said it was fine if they came with us, I made him ask his roommate too; which he said it was fine. At first it seemed like he really wanted us to go, now it's more of a "I don't care" attitude.

Here's my question, should I go and bring my kids or not go? It seems odd to me that I would bring my kids to his roommate's birthday dinner. Is it just me, or is that odd? I can't find a sitter, so either I don't go or I bring them. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Go if you want to, don't if you don't. If they both said it was fine for you to bring the kids don't fret about it. Relax and enjoy yourself and the time with your kids, with or without anyone else. Sounds like you are a little too worried about pleasing them and not worried at all about what you want.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 7:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If there is going to be consumption of alcohol, you are better off staying home & doing something w/ the kids. I stay home w/ our dau quite a bit when my husb has events to go to that are for adults or situations like you described. Have him bring you home a doggie bag tho! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'd bow out and stay with the kids. If you're not close w/ the roommate, you'd probably feel out of place anyway.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Personally, I would just stay home with the kids. But if you really want to go, then go for it.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 5:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010