Early Release from Jail?

In July my husband was pulled over for driving uninsured. He'd been pulled over in April and there was no mention of it but in July they said he'd been driving uninsured since February. He was sentenced to 5 weekends in jail...most people that I've talked to have said he probably won't have to do his full sentence. How does early release from jail work? This is a completely new experience for us, we didn't even know he was uninsured and took care of it right away! We thought he'd have to pay a fine, we never dreamed he'd do jail time. We've both written letters to the judge and my manager at my store also wrote on his behalf...does anyone know how we would be notified should he get early release or anything like that? Any info would help and be greatly appreciated, thanks!

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 5:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm very sorry about your husband being in jail...but Honestly it all depends on the jail or prison and how they do their early release system,some jail have good time or early parole dates...so youll just have to find out from there your husbands lawyer or your husband.

good luck
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 5:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• first off I want to say that This is the most ridiculous reason to send someone to jail! They are wasting your tax money on these petty stupid crimes???? WOW....I would write my Governor and send letters to the media complaining about the tax payers money being wasted for this SH...T...now thats off my chest...

angry

I think it depends on how much room they have...

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 6:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• As long as he goes every weekend like hes supposed to and shows good behavior while he is there then he may be able to get off early. But its only 5 weekends so Im not sure they would do it for such a short sentence. GL to you though! Hope everything works out :(
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 6:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• 4_28_bbboy Believe me, I'm right there with you. Mike has never been in trouble before. Money was tight but he told the insurance company his payment was going to be late-they said that was fine. He paid with his next check and they never informed him of the canceled policy and continued to take our money. Its sickening. When he got that sentence my jaw hit the floor. What was worse was there was a guy in there on his second DUI, who didn't have a job. (The judge said, "Last time you were here you weren't working. Has anything changed?" The guy goes, "No sir, but I'm workin' real hard to get one.). He got 600 hours community service. SIX HUNDRED HOURS OF COMMUNITY SERVICE FOR A SECOND DUI AND THEY SENT MY HUSBAND TO JAIL FOR DRIVING UNINSURED WHEN HE HADN'T BEEN PROPERLY INFORMED. We had paperwork from the insurance company and a copy of the work order from April and he went to jail? What kind of justice is that?
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• in what state do you's live in that they send u to jail for no car insurance, because where just stating to get bac on our feet after my hubby b in laid off of work for 8 months, lost one of our cars, couldn't afford the payments at the time and now we can't afford the insurance for our 13 yr old car but he's about to get his first check next week on hopefully we be able to get bac on track
    angie3897

Answer by angie3897 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• we're in maryland. whether or not they take the car and write you a ticket, notify the mva and all that depends on the officer's discretion. apparently this officer felt like being a douchebag and the judge wasn't far behind.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2010