What's a nice, inexpensive dinner I can make for guests?

My husband and I have some guests (more like friends) over for tomorrow. They have never been to our house, so I want to make something nice. It is the end of the month, so we obviously don't have a lot of money to make a fancy gourmet dinner. What are some meal ideas that are inexpensive, nice, and taste good?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 5:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• it's the most ridiculously delicious split pea soup ever. I hated split pea before this and now I love it.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Creamy-Split-Pea-Soup/Detail.aspx
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 5:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread and a salad.
    baked chicken, mashed potatoes and veggies.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• (i base this off of the fact this it is chilly where I live and therefore perfect split pea soup weather)
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 5:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Fettuccine Alfredo (just butter, fresh grated Parmesan and heavy cream over noodles) and a Salad. Add Chicken or shrimp if you want to upgrade it.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 5:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I make mexican style stuffed shells..the family loves it. All you do is brown 1 lb of ground beef, drain the grease, add some taco seasoning and 2/3 cup of water. once that is mixed add a can of refried beans (i buy fat free kind and tastes just as good). mix all together (you can add some shredded cheese to this too). Cook large shells and once the shells are cooked fill the shells with meat mixture. in a baking dish coat the bottom with 1/2 jar of salsa. place stuffed shells in dish and top shells with remaining salsa. Also top with some chopped green onions. cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 mins at 350 degrees.
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 5:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Pesto pasta! Get some penne, and the creamy pesto Knorr mix (they have them at our safeway, I'd imagine it's fairly easy to get), some fresh mushrooms, maybe some peas, bacon, and parmesan cheese.... It's soooo good! And cheap. If you want, you can make some garlic bread to go with it or just a loaf of french bread and butter.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Lasagna, baked ziti? Maybe a roast of some sort? GL!
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 5:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• How about some sort of casserole w/ a salad? I like tator tot casserole, cheap, easy and good! Msg me if you would like the recipe!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• This is actually an incredibly cheap meal.

Fettucini or spaghetti carbonara. Add prosciutto in place of bacon and parmigiano-reggiano cheese in place of regular parmigiano if you're willing to spend a few more dollars. It will give it a bolder/much more delicious flavor. You can also add heavy cream at room temperature after the dish is prepared, and then garnish with a little grated cheese and fresh parsley on top. I prefer it this way.

I'd also serve it with a nice salad and italian vinaigrette, which you can either prepare yourself or buy pre-made.

For an appetizer you can serve bruschetta and for dessert coffee and biscotti's.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Cont'd

The carbonara will cost $12-15.00 to make. Salad and vinaigrette is another $5.00 at most. Coffee most people have in their pantry, and biscotti is usually $3.00. Bruschetta is, at most, another $5.00.

At most this entire four course meal for $28.00, which should heartily feed everyone.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 6:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2010