ten years difference

My husband is ten years older than me. He is always pointing out things that I do wrong. I try not to argue with him in front of the kids. I have a terrible memory, so usually by the time we go to bed I have forgotten about it. What should I do?

arenad

Asked by arenad at 5:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't understand what the age difference has to do with anything. Sounds like you both need to talk about how you feel and that you may feel he is not listening to your needs.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• honestly idk what one thing has to do with the other (his age and him being a nag). and if it is a thing that he does all the time you can sit down and talk about that....your memory has nothing to do with it. (and if you forget about it by the time you go to bed, then how could you remember to bring it up here? lol.....just wondering). but seriously, just tell him to stop being so nit-picky
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I have a question...What does his age have to do with the problem? All I can tell you is that that is a mild abuse problem...control and belittlement, even if it doesn't seem like a big deal is a big deal...I would tell him how you feel about it and see what he says then make a choice on where to go from there.

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 5:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Well, if you wanted to marry your older sibling you would have done so, right?

You need a partner, a husband, a friend, a lover. Not someone who thinks you should listen to them.

My husband is 9 years older than me. Together we feel as if we are equal in everything we do. There are some things he is smarter than me with, and vice versa. Together we work things out. We don't do it infront of the children. If we have to, we even leave the dinner table to talk it out and discuss it.

You need better communication with your husband. Age has nothing to do with it.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Sorry, I wasn,t specific enough. He is ten years older than I am . He thinks he is smarter than me and I should listen to him all the time. SOrt of like an older sibling.
    arenad

Comment by arenad (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• There is a big difference if the 10 years is 20 and 30. Not so big of a difference if the 10 years is 40 to 50.
    Make a note when it happens. So you can discuss it with your husband later. More important is how your husband will take this discussion. Is he mature and will understand what the problem is.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• well, it's more about his attitude and not about his age. so tell him that he is supposed to be your partner....not your boss and have a real discussion about how it makes you feel.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm just wondering - does he use the difference in your ages as part of his criticism? Does he say you are immature?  Whatever the case, sit down with him, and explain that what he is saying to you is hurting you. 

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 6:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Tell him if he wanted to marry a wise old woman he should have. You are young and should enjoy your youth without being criticized.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 7:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Feel free to visti my profile, and apply to "GUARDIAN ANGELS"...SAY "LAURA" invited you.

Very Early Warning Signs
    Very Early Warning Sign # 1: A Blamer

Avoid someone who blames his negative feelings and bad luck on someone else. Special care is necessary here, as blamers can be really seductive in dating. Their blame of others can make you look great by comparison:

The Law of Blame...Blamers can be dangerous to love because they usually suffer from victim identity. Feeling like victims, they see themselves as justified in whatever retaliation they enact and whatever compensation they take. Blamers will certainly cause pain for you if you come to love one.

Very Early Warning Sign # 2: Resentment

Resentment is a negative mood caused by focus on perceptions of unfairness.

THERE IS MORE TO THIS......
    but my post was to long ?...sorry
    SissyAnn141

Answer by SissyAnn141 at 1:29 AM on Oct. 23, 2010