My son is 5 and he choked bad the end of Sept. Now going through alot with him. HELP!!!!

My son choked the end of Sept on a fried clam strip. My mom had to do the heimlic like 5 times and I had to call 911, and when they arrived it was out and he was ok. He went through a period where he wanted everything cut small because he was scared. As of 3 wks Sat he started where he didnt want to eat anything but as of that Thurs he started eating yogurt. He has yet tried anything else and will not. I took him to the drs because he complained it was his throat but its not. I do not know what to do to try and get him over his fear. His peditrician says ignore the behavior. I cant he was a great eater and now nothing and from his 5yr checkup in Aug to Tues he lost 2 ounces. I know not alot but how much more until he is very ill. Please someone help. I feel its my fault!!!!!!!!!!

nikkm0113

Asked by nikkm0113 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I think you might need to talk to a child psychologist.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Maybe try soups and soft things at first. Talking to him about why he's scared and letting him know that it WAS scary, but that it doesn't have to happen again may help.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I agree with mompam...you may need to take him to a specialist...sounds like he's got a (well founded) fear...
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:57 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I agree about counseling, for sure. That's VERY traumatic, and it's totally understandable why he's SO afraid of food now!
    Good luck, mama!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2010