What is the best way to...

Discipline a VERY strong willed child? I have my hands full with 5 children under the age of 8 and 1 on the way, and they are all God bless them Strong willed... I need some advice.... What has worked for you guys... Because the time outs are not working.. LOL!!

Mamaj6

Asked by Mamaj6 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• My advice is do what you say you'll do. Only give 1 warning.
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 6:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I agree with adelinasmommy. If you want them to obey, you must mean what you say and don't give any slack. If they go without dessert this evening, stick to it. Take away privilages. Good luck. :)
    fluppyducky

Answer by fluppyducky at 6:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Read 1-2-3 Magic - it's awesome! And find out what is MOST important to your child so that you have a bargaining tool. NEVEr NEVER NEVER with hold love or attention, though. Another good book is Raising your Spirited Child.
    shareleann

Answer by shareleann at 7:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• TO DON'T work for most kids especially under 5. IT IS NOT A PRODUCTIVE WAY TO TEACH YOUNG CHILDREN AND IS ONLY A FORM OF PARENTAL CONTROL- YOU WANT THEM TO LEARN HOW TO BEHAVE SO THAT IN THE FUTURE HE CAN MAKE BETTER CHOICES. SPEAKING OF WHICH: GIVE THEM AS MANY CHOICES AS POSSIBLE. CHOOSE 2 THINGS THAT YOU WANT THEM TO DO AND GIVE THEM THE CHOICE. THAT WAY THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING YOU WANT BUT THEY FEEL IN CONTROL. EX. DO YOU WANT TO HOP TO BED LIKE A BUNNY OR FLY LIKE AN AIRPANE. EITHER WAY THE END RESULT IS BED. ALSO LET THEM CHOOSE IN DISCIPLINE AS WELL...LET'S SAY U R GOING TO THE PARK & THEY ARENT DOING WHT U ASK. TELL THEM THEY HAVE 2 CHOICES 1) MISBEHAVE OR 2) GO TO THE PARK...THIS WILL TAKE TIME BUT IT WILL WORK. ALSO GIVE EVERY DAY CHOICES; WHAT CLOTHES, BOOKS, FOOD, DRINK, SHOES ETC THEY WANT...THIS WILL HELP THEM FEEL HEARD AND IN CONTROL...GL!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2010