My son is 5 chocked at the end of Sept, now going through alot with him! Help!!!!!!

My son choked the end of Sept on a fried clam strip. My mom had to do the heimlic like 5 times and I had to call 911, and when they arrived it was out and he was ok. He went through a period where he wanted everything cut small because he was scared. As of 3 wks Sat he started where he didnt want to eat anything but as of that Thurs he started eating yogurt. He has yet tried anything else and will not. I took him to the drs because he complained it was his throat but its not. I do not know what to do to try and get him over his fear. His peditrician says ignore the behavior. I cant he was a great eater and now nothing and from his 5yr checkup in Aug to Tues he lost 2 ounces. I know not alot but how much more until he is very ill. Please someone help. I feel its my fault!!!!!!!!!!

nikkm0113

Asked by nikkm0113 at 6:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make the most delicious cake ever and see if he will eat it
    adelinasmommy

Answer by adelinasmommy at 6:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Ty Adelinasmommy, but we have tried everything and he has yet to give in to eating anything it took us 5 days for the yogurt, but now we are going on 2 wks of just that. I am sooooooo stressed, sad, feeling guilty!!!!
    nikkm0113

Comment by nikkm0113 (original poster) at 6:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If he is that traumatized by it I think it's time you asked his school counsler to step in. Good luck!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 6:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I understand he was somewhat traumatized. I would just buy him some Ensure and let him get over it on his own.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• ty everyone, we got him carnation breakfast and he is eating pudding and yogurt.
    nikkm0113

Comment by nikkm0113 (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Awwww that really would traumatize him. Poor little guy. I would try to cater to him and slowly but surely try to introduce more types of food to him over a period of time.

Dont mention it, dont make it a big deal or a fight....maybe he can slowly release his fear without thinking of it.

I agree with getting him a protein shake of some sort and a vitamin he would take, even if it was liquid. Just to keep his health up as he gets better.

If he doenst improve you may need someone to help you that is more experienced with this. Like a counselor or someone.

I feel badly for him :(
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Ty mom2twobabes, I feel horrible that this happened to him because he loves food. I mean he ate everything. I never see many 5 yr olds eat fried clam strips. He loved them. My dad who is a emt, went and got him instant carnation breakfast drinks so I give those to him 2 times a day, and he gets the yogurt and puddin g. I am trying my hardest not to hound him about eating, but its so hard cause so of the things I will make him I know he will be ok with. Such as scrambled eggs, or oatmeal,cream of wheat and soup, but he wont try it. I feel so bad and wish it happened to me.
    nikkm0113

Comment by nikkm0113 (original poster) at 6:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• He was traumatized, and I know because it has happened to me, it is a horrible feeling to be chocking on something and you can't breathe! I suggest a child psycologist to help through this.

My son had an experienced when he was 7 or so with a bee sting, he had an allergic reaction and the doctor told him that next time he gets stung he could had a reaction that would clos his air ways and die, and he started chewing his food like for 20 minutes before he would swallow, the therapy helped him a lot and he eventually got over it.

Answer by older at 6:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Have you tried soup with no chunks in it like tomato or something ? I would see about talking to a counselor too, they may be able to help him get passed it. Good luck I hope everything turns out ok.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Maybe try telling him that he's bigger now and there's more room in his throat for the food now. Tell him to make sure he chews it really well. Sorry he's been traumatized. :(
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2010