What do I feed my 6yr old son who is a picky eater?

My son is such a picky eater for starters, he has diarhea. When I say picky I mean picky! I'm up for suggestions, thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, to help harden his stool he should eat bananas. They are healthy and he can have it sliced in his cereal, straight from the meal or on a peanut butter sandwich.
    Also, look into the V8 Fusion juices, maybe that can be his drink with dinner.
    As for an after school snack- carrots and grapes (green and red). Wash them, chill them and put them out when you get home. If he doesn't like the choice to bad, its a snack. He is old enough to learn that you make the menu and learn to wait it out.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 6:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• *peel not meal : )
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 6:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Soy products solidify things for my daughter. She likes plain sliced firm tofu and she liked chilled edamame. My daughter isn't picky so it's hard to relate but I'd feed her whatever she'd eat. I have other battles to pick with her ;) What does he like to eat? Good luck.
    SBMommies

Answer by SBMommies at 6:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• you have to sit and eat with them
    princessshan661

Answer by princessshan661 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• he has diarhea? is it because of his picky diet? could it be food allergies? does he have problems chewing or with food textures?
    sounds like you need to visit with your pediatrician and see what they suggest.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 6:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My daughter is the only "picky" one of my kids, she's 6. Most of the time my rule is you eat what we have, I don't fix a separate meal. But when we have pasta, I will fix her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with fruit because she can't stand the texture of pasta. I would say don't let him tell you what he won't eat, just fix your meal and put a little bit of everything in front of him. Let him know that is it, and if he chooses not to eat, he will come back to it when he gets hungry. If you aren't fixing food that is just disgusting, then there should be no reason for him not to eat it. I normally make a meat, a starch (rice, potatoes, or bread), and 2 veggies for dinner. I know DD likes corn and green beans so I always include one of those, then try another veggie as the second side. For the diarrhea, he should see his pediatrician to see if he has food allergy or intolerance.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Eh, my dd was picky at 6 too. I fed her what she would eat. She's growing out of the pickiness and trying more things.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:59 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My daughter is one of those types of eaters. We all sit down at the table and eat. If she doesn't finish it, she goes to bed without dinner. She figures out then that she has to eat what's in front of her. My bonus son used to be the same way; we haven't seen him for a couple of years (different states, plane travel for a minor's expensive) so I'm not sure if he's still a picky eater. He used to make excuses so that he wouldn't have to eat it (it's too hot, bathroom break staying in there long enough for it to get cold).
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• eat with him every meal
    tinker16233

Answer by tinker16233 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• there is a book that I LOVE... deceptivly delicious... great ways to get your "picky eater" to get their daily intakes of those healthy foods... I have one that will pick the raw broccoli over the cookie and the other that.. if it is red, green, yellow, or orange... FOR GET IT... I also do the V8 fusions...

I am not one for MAKING my kids clean their plates but I put about a table spoon worth of what ever veggie on his play and he has to eat them PERIOD... and it usually takes 2 bites to finish what I put on there... he has come to find out that he likes some of the veggies... strangest one yet is asparagus... yes the PICKY kid like it!!!
    MOMMY2TWINBOYS4

Answer by MOMMY2TWINBOYS4 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 26, 2010