How do You cook dried beans?

I've already soaked them so now I need to put them on the stovetop cuz I forgot to put them in the crock this morning. Anyway, I was wondering how you cook dried beans besides in the crock. Thanks.....Julie

mom2priceboys

Asked by mom2priceboys at 6:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• After they have soaked, drain the water off and rinse them. Then cover the beans with stock or water to about 1" over the beans. Add in a few bay leaves, some smoked pork or ham hock, and a mixture of 1/2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 1 tsp onion powder. Add 1 tsp sea salt. Bring them to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer for a few hours til they are soft but not cooking to mush. Remove the bay leaves before eating!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Put them in a pot and boil them on top of the stove. Until they are soft. Not mushy.

Answer by louise2 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I've never put them in a crock, but I've never soaked them either... I just put them in boiling water til they are soft, drain & rinse... It's that simple. Like pasta, they will soak up the water they need.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• After soaking, drain the beans and add fresh water to the cooking pot.

Bring the beans to a boil, and then lower the heat and simmer for 60 to 90 minutes, or until the beans are tender. (Check your package of beans, as cooking times vary for different varieties. But also check the beans occasionally, because sometimes the beans will cook more quickly than the package says.) NOTE: When cooking beans, always simmer. Boiling can cause the cooking liquid to overflow, as well as the beans to break apart and the skins to separate. When dried beans boil, a foam forms on the top of the cooking liquid. This foam is water-soluble protein released from the beans and it will be absorbed back into the bean cooking liquid. It is not necessary to remove the foam. You can add ham or bacon for flavoring. Near the end of cooking add salt & pepper to taste.

SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Thanks SweerLuci, that is pretty much waht I did. I just added the bacon and veggies, seasonings, and a Tablespoon tomatoe paste so they need to cook about another hour for it to all come together I will serve with some garlic toast.
    mom2priceboys

Comment by mom2priceboys (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2010