Anyone takeing antidepressants while prego?

I am twenty three weeks and my doc thinks it would be a good idea for me to take the lowest dose of zoloft. I am worried about what it will do to the baby but at the same time I have only gained 6 pounds the entire pregnancy so far and the doc is worried about that and my lack of energy amog other little things. what would you ladies do?

lilshybree83

Asked by lilshybree83 at 6:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm 33 weeks, and suffer with depression. I talked to my doctors and they tend to feel the same way yours do. I tried to stay off meds while pregnant, but the doctors said they tend to feel that depression puts the baby in more danger than treatment. Also, for those of us who are depressed through pregnancy your chances of experiencing PPD or PPP are much higher and can cause you to harm your baby once they are born... Just make sure that you monitor and report any and all side effects to your doctors. The closer you work with them the better.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm 9 weeks pregnant and i'm taking prozac. I have depression and the doctor told me that the benefits outweighed the risks and said it would be better for me to stay on antidepressants. Though he did switch the anti depressants he gave me for a more pregnant friendly version.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I took Effexor throughout my pregnancy. I suffer from severe depression, and if I went off of all of my meds while pregnant, I would have most likely wound up in a psych ward. My dd was born completely healthy.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I began taking Wellbutrin at 4-5 weeks pregnant with my 3rd son. My son was born with a birth defect. The pros and cons should always be weighed and you should always consult your doctor and ask about side effects and potential risks to the baby. If you can make it without the anti depressant then obviously that's the best choice, but if you need help don't be afraid to find the safest option. Many women take anti depressants during their pregnancy and most of those babies are born healthy. One problem is that while doctors will say the drug is safe, sometimes they really don't know because the drug isn't tested on pregnant women. A level 3 is considered safe by doctors, but the effects on the baby are not really known. Found this out the hard way. There was even a registry my doctor failed to let me know about to be included in potential risks to baby so my child is not listed as potential outcome due to after the fact.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 7:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm not trying to scare you. I'm just sharing my experience and the importance of talking to your doctor and doing your research. If you need the help get it. I can definitely relate to depression and pregnancy. Hang in there. ~Hugs to you mama.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I was on antidepressants when I got pregnant the first time and my son was born with a birth defect. Although there's no "official" link, I will always feel this guilt that I could've prevented it. That being said, I think your mental health & well being is very important and many doctors will vouch for the safety at this point in your pregnancy. Just weigh in your heart & mind the "what if" and try to consider alternatives to medication. Good luck, I know it won't be an easy decision to make.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 11:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• TRUST YOURSELF! YOU know if you need antidepressants or not. And You are the ONLY ONE who knows that you need them. I had problems with depression and anxiety my entire life. I had my doctors tell me to get on meds because they were sure I'd have PPD and it would be easier to start a few weeks before my pregnancy was over, then after my son was born. Honestly everything changed for me during my pregnancy. I never felt better. No physically. Just emotionally. I was alot more stable and alot happier. I had mood swings of course, but the normal amount for someone who was pregnant. And it continued after my son was born. I have my moments of course, but when I had my son everything did a 180 and I didn't need any meds to do it. You know better than anyone how you are feeling and if you need help dealing or not.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 12:37 AM on Oct. 23, 2010