Did you meet the "love of your life"/"soul mate" but end up marrying/staying with someone else because the "one" left you or something?

Just wondering if that's happened to anyone.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• More like the reverse. I met THE GUY. We were awesome together as friends, but when he said he wanted more, I freaked out. I'd just gotten out of a bad relationship and I had a freight container of emotional baggage. I let my own insecurities get in the way. We tried being friends for awhile after that, but it just got really awkward and stilted. We both moved on with our lives in different directions, and I wonder sometimes, "What if I had said yes?"

geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Honestly, if that person left you, he wasn't "The One". Personally, I don't believe there's any such thing as "the love of your life", or that there's only one person out there meant for you. I think you can have that feeling with a multitude of people, it's just a matter of finding them, heh. But if it was truly meant to be, don't you think "The One" would feel the same way about you?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I was with the guy that I thought was "The One" -- I was devastated when he left me for someone else. I thought he'd come around because we were "meant to be." But then I met my (now) husband -- well, actually we'd been friends for a few years, but I just saw him in a new light. We don't like the term "soul mates" but I truly believe this is the man I was supposed to marry and be with forever. We'll be married 11 years next month, we have 4 beautiful children, and I don't think I would have had a happy life with the other guy. Hind sight is 20/20.
    TwinMomma122304

Answer by TwinMomma122304 at 7:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I did, but we were in high school and my love moved away -- like across the country away. I married someone else even though I thought about him a bit. After 4yrs of marriage things fell apart, my husband became an alcoholic and was abusive. Now years later I am back with the love of my life, we are getting married in May! He loves my daughter, loves me, and it's like everything is right in the world now that we have each other again.
    Anonymous

• This is a hilarious question. Everyone thinks the one they love is "the one". And if that doesn't work out they move on to the next "one".
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 7:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• married the love of my life
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• no
    san78

Answer by san78 at 8:16 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My husband and I met and started dating in 6th grade - and I knew he was the "one". But in high school we were with different people because we were both too scared to say we still had feelings for each other after he moved back. We both ended up in relationships that we stayed in merely because we couldn't have each other, until my relationship turned really sour and he took his chance and helping me leave and telling me how he felt. We've been back together for 4 years. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 23, 2010