I've heard that your second baby often comes a little earlier than the first...

Does that only go towards women who were allowed to labor?

My water broke a week early, it had merconium (sp) so I couldn't walk around or anything. 5 hours after my water broke I hadn't progressed (not surprisingly considering my mom has long labors and I was stuck in bed with barely noticeable contractions). Anyway, I had to have a c-section because of how dangerous the merconium can be. My body never went into active labor or anything.

Could I still go to my due date or after? Obviously, yes, but I'm just wondering if the saying is true a lot of the times and if it still applies to me :] I'd love to not have to get to 40 weeks and be huge especially because big babies run in my family...haha.

ours

Asked by ours at 7:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My first was 39 weeks and my second was 40 weeks. My first labor was 1 1/2 hours and my second was 2 hours. My mom was in labor with me for 36 hours.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• First baby, I was 35 weeks 4 days, 8 hours of labor (waiting to dilate) Pushed for six minutes.
    Second baby, I was 39 weeks 4 days, 4 hours of labor (waiting to dilate) pushed for 7 minutes.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Each pregnancy is different. You could deliver earlier, or later,  than last time. (That wasn't much help. Sorry.)

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 7:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I had all big babies as well. My personal experience has been: Three 8 lb 9 oz boys, one 8 lb 1 oz girl, and one 9 lb 5 oz girl. I went late with my first by 13 days, my second was ready on his due date. I went into spontaneous labor with the first two (1st-21 hours, 2nd-17 hours). From there I was induced 1-2 weeks early with the 3 last babies. My labor was progressively shorter with each. I do know some people go longer in their pregnancy and some go shorter, but since your body already knows what to do, it is common for a slightly shorter pregnancy and faster labor. My first had meconium as well, but I was able to continue a natural delivery.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• each pregnancy is different.. like some people say! You cant always go my myths! I got the epidural with my first and had her at 39 weeks..i just had my second 3 weeks ago and had her at 39 weeks to but when i got to the hospital i was 8cm and they told me no drugs i had to go natural! Got there at 2:30 and had her out of me by 4:28 p.m! My second daughter came alot faster but more painful!
    johnandtabby

Answer by johnandtabby at 8:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You can always ask to be induced at 39wks, but they will not induce any earlier unless there is a medical reason.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 10:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Just a theory, not truth.
    My first was born at 38 1/2 weeks. My second was born at 41 weeks.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 10:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My first was 2 1/2 weeks early. My water broke the night of my due date and he was born the next morning.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 11:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• definitely not true... my son came when i was 37 weeks 6 days and im 39 weeks today and my daughter still hasnt come and probably wont come until the scheduled c section on tuesday
    lovebunny82709

Answer by lovebunny82709 at 2:48 AM on Oct. 23, 2010