I feel like I am gonna pull my hair out!!

My son is obviously in the early terrible 2's. He is 21 months old and will throw himself in the floor when told to stop doing something he shouldn't be doing and scream and kick. Everything seems to set off a fit of some sort...and i dont know what to do about this. He was watching his favorite dvd tonight and out of no where threw himself down and started screaming. How do you deal with your childs fits like this? I know I should prob just ignore it, but goodness this goes on ALL DAY LONG! I work at a daycare and he comes with me and it even happens all day there. Ugh! I am exhausted by the end of the day from it all.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I ignored my son and go find something to do that he really enjoyed doing (coloring, baking) or I'd leave him in one room and go into another...he only had these fits for a couple weeks. I'd even ignore him in the grocery store. I'd let him have his fit and he eventually stop and we'd get on with our shopping.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 7:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• ok first of all, you need to be verbal when he has a melt down. Don't ignore him when he needs you the most. Describe what he's feeling and why (of course when you know).
    Ex. It's bedtime and he has to put his toys away. "You are very angry" Give his emotions a name. He doesn't know he's angry. he's acting on impulse. Next, let him know why he's angry. most likely, he doesn't even know why. "You didn't want to put those toys away did you? You would rather continue playing with them? "
    Next, divert his attention. Don't dwell on "we need to the toys away because, blah blah blah" In other words, don't explain it. He's too young. "Let's go read a book about a boy who doesn't want to put his toys away." (make up the story in a book where he can identify to the character.)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Ignore him, he will figure out it doesn't help get him what he wants.My son did that when he was that age and it took him a couple of weeks but he got it and they have gotten less often now, if he does it stops quickly, now my DD on the other hand is almost 3 and is in full tantrum mode right now lol. So I feel your pain.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 8:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• SWEETY JUST WAIGHT TILL YOUR SON GET IN HIS TEENS LIKE 12 TO 16 YEARS OLD , U REALLY GOING TO PULL YOUR HAIR OUT THEN , GOOOD LUCK U GOING TO NEED IT ! L.O.L ! !
    ELMOANN

Answer by ELMOANN at 8:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i did the same thing as OBLmamma...I told my DS when he was ready to be a big boy to come find me and I'd walk away...he'd stop pretty much immediately and either come find me and we would talk baout what was wrong and how we could fix it without crying or he'd get up and play and totally forget about it. My DS had less than 10 fits and he is almost 3. So I swear by it.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010