What would you be happy with in childcare?

I am an au pair for the first time and I really want it to go well :)

The kids are allowed to watch some TV but I'm trying to limit that a lot doing arts and crafts, magic trick, baking etc.. What else would you expect your kids to do with the au pair/nanny while you're not home??

The kids are 9 (girl), 6 (girl) and 5 (boy)

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I to am a nanny. And the children I work with have limited television as well. We do a lot of arts and crafts, baking, etc, like you. When it's nice out, we spend a lot of time outside. We make home made bubble soap and blow bubbles, we go on "nature walks" around the yard and look at leaves and bugs and things. We also like play dough, moon sand, and things like that. My oldest has half day kindergarten in the afternoons, and the youngest takes a nap while he's at school, so I use that time as an opportunity to try and get in some "learning time" with the middle child, who is 4. We work on letter and number recognition, words that start with whatever number we're talking about, etc. We also practice writing letters, his name, etc. The children have a rather well stocked play room as well, and sometimes we just sit and have "free play." Congrats on your new job, and good luck!
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Thatall sounds good to me! Our au pair also teaches her language to my daughter. Outings are also fun every now and then!!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 8:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Woops, I should have re read my statement before hitting post. We talk about words that start with the letter we're talking about, not the number! My brain is fried tonight, sorry!
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Physical fitness, outdoor activites, sports, health and nutrition.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2010