Anyone have ideas on how to be more organized?

My basement is a mess of toys and clutter. I want to clean it out this weekend and turn it into a tv/ rec room. Problem is I don't know where to start! Any ideas?

lilymama03

Asked by lilymama03 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Home & Garden

• First off..like you say...a mess with toys and clutter....get rid of all toys they don't use and the clutter you don't need. Clear everything out of the room...then you will have a fresh start! If you not only want to be organized in your basement but your whole house too....then go to Flylady.com and sign up. This woman helps you get your home organized and up to par, but not all at once. They call it babysteps!!! She helps you through EVERYTHING and I think it's awesome!!
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• The first thing I would do with the toys is sort them into three catagories: Keepers, Givers, and garbage. Anything broken gets tossed, anything in good repair but not being played with is given to a charity/good will and then keepers are put into bins/totes. Do the same with the rest of the clutter and you'll find you'll have it cleaned up in no time! If your kids are old enough have them help with the sorting of the toys. This helps them learn to organize.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Grab a garbage bag and start throwing away obvious garbage and things that are broken beyond repair. Then grab a big box and put stuff in it that can be fixed. Same with toys...cds...etc. Then one by one sort out the boxes and decide what is worth saving and fixing and maybe storing. Start like that. Once you get the clutter cleaned up do the dusting and what not. Good luck.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 1:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• GARAGE SALE!!! Get rid of anything they don't play with or want... Same with you and anything down there that is yours... I would get rid of as much as possible and see whats left to have to organize... ya know?
    stasia4

Answer by stasia4 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 30, 2008