How do you tell if your newborn babys belly button is infected?

johnandtabby

Asked by johnandtabby at 8:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• normally it'll ooze junk and smell really really bad
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If it's infected it smells nasty. But it normally looks a bit scary to me to be honest, I've had 2 babies and both times I felt the same way, luckily u go to the doc's every few days during the very first wks so when they say it's OK u just have to trust them. if the belly button started smelling bad I would ask for an appointment asap but otherwise just keep it clean by very, very gently wiping the area around it with a q-tip and water, it's best left alone to heal naturally. But I admit, I'm always a bit worried until it has completely healed up! Mine's 13m now and has a lovely belly button :-)
    B-Pod

Answer by B-Pod at 8:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• so does my other daughter she loves playin with her belly button and shes 13 months too!
    johnandtabby

Comment by johnandtabby (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Keep in mind that the smell is normal because it is basically rotting tissue until it falls off. Make sure you are keeping it dry and uncovered as much as possible. Once it falls off, completely clean the area and the smell will be gone. Check with your doctor.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• The smell will give it away and if there is any type of abnormal discharge. Schedule an appointment if you are not sure, if just to ease your mind.
    Keely625

Answer by Keely625 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i think it will have some kind of green discharge coming out and smelly
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2010