Ma'am and Sir

Do your children say "yes/no, ma'am/sir"? And I mean all the time, not just when they're in trouble. Both of mine do (well my 20 month old is still a work in progress), and when we're not home (in TX) people are stunned that they say it. I've always been told it's more of a southern thing, so I'm curious as to how many other people teach and expect their kids to say it, and where they're from....

HaydensMama07

Asked by HaydensMama07 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• How is it being a 'lesser citizen' to show respect? I never, in all my life considered NOT saying Yes Ma'am and No Sir to those older than me..ever. It doesn't mean I'm anything but a well brought up woman who respects those who are in authority, or who simply have more years on this earth than me. If I was ever disrespected by any of those to whom I had offered respect, be sure it would be the last time. Come to my neck of the woods and get pulled over for speeding...see how far you get with "yeah" It is cultural and it's a shame it isn't everywhere.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• yep, it teaches respect. i'd rather have my kids say "yes ma'am" to a lady than "yeah". much more respectful.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No.Way too formal and outdated for me

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yes, they do.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i try to make them say it because in my family its a respect thing and i have to still say yes maam yes sir to my parents. i'm not from the south though but my parents are i'm from cali so its different out here.
    honey27

Answer by honey27 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Right there with you OP! I was taught it. A total respect thing! And I find it very rude and irritating and disrespectful when a kid says Yeah to an adult. Totally irritating! Makes my blood boil almost immediately!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• im from alabama my parents never forced me to say mam or sir but i have really enforced it on my daughter she is 2 and now she knows she cant get her juice or anything with out saying thank you or yes and no sir now she says everytime and people are really stunned when they hear it i dont think its out dated thats probally whats wrong with the world today no respect
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• From Texas and yes my own children did, and do. Now my grandchildren do too. Not saying yes/no ma'am or sir in my house growing up meant somebody was looking for trouble. You didn't want Momma to 'pick a switch". It is just respect. It was hard as a Navy family to stick with it, especially in CA, but we did. One thing I remember every year at conferences regardless of academic problems I was always told how well beheved and respectful they were.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm with butterflyblue, too formal and outdated. My children have manners, but using ma'am and sir just sounds weird IMO.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 8:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No I never made them do that. I am from Washington State. Don't know if that matters.

Answer by louise2 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010