umbilical cord question for those who know :)

My babys cord just fell off today at 12 days old can I give her a bath tonight? It isn't really gooey where it fell off but not completely dry either should I wait?

Kre10

Asked by Kre10 at 8:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My sons came off the night before his two week check up. The doctor said to wait a few days and make sure the inside was completely dry.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Thanks
    Kre10

Comment by Kre10 (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Funny how somethings change and others don't. My Dr. gave me the exact same advice with my oldest son 28 years ago. Wat 48 hours.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• as a nurse i agreee with the answers that you have been given. sometimes the cord will fall off before the opening is completly closed. giving a bath during this time can be irritating to the skin and allow bacteria to enter the opening. make sure to keep it dry . allow another 48 hours before you go to a tub bath.
    snowlilly6

Answer by snowlilly6 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My daughters came off around 2 weeks and still waited a couple more days for it to heal up all the way because it was bleeding a little.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 9:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would wait a few days til it is dry
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would wait just a couple days. They are so tiny that sponge baths are good for awhile but the 1st BATH is always fun and sometimes we do not want to wait! Have fun
    Keely625

Answer by Keely625 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 23, 2010