How did you handle bedtime at first with kids sharing a room?

My 18-month-old is ready to graduate from the pack-n-play in our room. We only have a 2-bedroom apartment right now, though, so the only other option is to share a room with her 3-year-old brother. He sleeps fine, stays in bed no problem, always has. She, on the other hand, wants to get up and play. (The 3-year-old stays in bed, even when the toddler gets up to play.)

Should I go in there every time I hear her get up and tell her to get back in bed? Wait a certain amount of time, like 5 minutes? 10 minutes? Let her play herself out and she'll go to sleep eventually?

Should I keep at this until she goes to sleep in his room, no matter how long it takes? Or should I move her back into our room if it gets to be too late?

How would/did you handle this? What worked for you?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 8:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am trying to remember what I did. I know IF they stayed in bed, I didn't go in when they were making noise or playing. No toys were allowed in the bed, but I figured if they stayed in bed they would eventually fall asleep. My older ones have always learned to sleep through the noise until the little one started falling asleep quickly.

If they got out of bed I just kept putting them back in. With my firstborn it was MONTHS of putting him back in bed for HOURS!! I guess my next ones learned from his example, because it was much easier with them. :D

Like others mentioned, follow a routine. Unless it becomes a big problem for the older one, I wouldn't move the little one to your room.

Good luck! We have three boys (4, 3, and 11 months) sharing a room. And for a short time, when we lived in a smaller place, the two year old daughter also shared the room. It took a little while - but they all started sleeping!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I was a spanker. A good couple of swats on the but stopped my kids from getting up after I put them to bed.

But if you do not want to go that route. I would just keep putting her back to bed tell she feel asleep.

Answer by louise2 at 8:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My sons have shared a room since my second was born. And it went (and still is) very smooth. Its much easier for me to get two kids to sleep in their room than it was to put my oldest in his room when he was alone. We have a routine now. Snack, Night time cartoon, Multivitamins and fluoride, Bubble bath, brush teeth, Pajamas, story time, kisses, light out. It really is THAT easy (here) They are 2 1/2 and ten months.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• When my sons were little they had to share a room I used to go in and read them a story every night they used to love it then they would be tired afterward and go to sleep. I miss those days as they grow so quickly!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• We moved our then 15-month-old in with our 3-year-old a few months ago, and we just kept going in and putting the younger one back in bed whenever he would get out. If he did it more than once or twice, he would get a swat on the rear when we went to put him back in bed. Now I can usually put both of them to bed and they go to sleep. And as others have said a bedtime routine always helps.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2010