Why would my dog tear up his bed??

They both have dog houses..and a bed inside..One of them was smart enough to rip it apart this week...They've had the bed for a while...errr

JCRestoredme

Asked by JCRestoredme at 2:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Pets

• Could the dog be mad at you? My dog isn't allowed up stairs and has been waiting until everyone goes to bed and sneaks upstairs to go to sleep. I busted her last night and sent her back down stairs, so she tore up a bunch of magazines. I know she was just being a turd because she doesn't normally do that.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My four dogs do this all the time, especially when we have not been paying enough attention to them. Try getting some new toys, playing more, brushing them, taking them for a walk. I guess dogs get bored, too. Bad attention is still attention.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• haha my dog did that once too!!..pissed me right off..considering i spent like 30 bucks on the thing..and then one day i told him no, and he tore it to shreds! not cool!! so now he just gets to sleep on the ground!! his loss!!!!!!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:22 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My dogs have ALWAYS torn up EVERY doggy bed they've ever had. Sometimes they'd do it on the first day... sometimes it would take a couple months, but they would do it. My dogs did it clawing at it and biting at it to make it more comfortable. When my dogs are mad at me... they chew up MY stuff. lol Not theirs. So maybe he just wanted it to be more comfortable.
    AndreaDawn1984

Answer by AndreaDawn1984 at 2:56 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I have three boxers and we bought them a bed they tore it up fast it also depends on the breed.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 6:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• boredom? make sure they have plenty of things they are allowed to tear up. Toys, rawhides, etc. Take em on walks and give them at least 5 minutes of trainign every day. if that doesn't help by cheaper beds and resign yourself or go see a skilled dog trainer.
    Hartless

Answer by Hartless at 1:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Try to get they toys that will keep them busy from making a mess, there are tons of different toys that you can put treats in it keeps my dogs busy for hours:)
    try "busy bone" or pig's ears
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• I don't know how much money you spend on dog beds...but I have a great dane and I go all out when I can. Orvis sells a dog bed taht they gaurentee. If your dog tears it up they will replace it for free. We went through 3 of them when my dog was small. They are expensive though, but the first it gets replaced you feel like you're saving money. They're called ToughChew beds. Good luck with your dog...and I also agree you should play with them more...bored dogs will play with anything.
    roan407

Answer by roan407 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2008