i have been having trouble getting my 2 year old to bed i have been going through 5 hour screaming matches at night how do i get him to bed without a fight?

i have tried movies toys cups blankets all of it

RussoFamily

Asked by RussoFamily at 2:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him run around for like 1-2hrs before bedtime, maybe he'll get tired. Or maybe stand him in corners. My son is 5 1/2 gonna be 6 next week and when he cries about stupid stuff, I tell him to grow up and act his age and stop being a baby. When its bed time, he goes without question. You should put a night light in his room and shut the door. Tell him your taking toys and do it, and then take something else till he stops this behavior. Watch super nanny or nanny 911
    Anonymous

• What do you mean, you've tried movies, toys, cups, blankets? Do you mean you've tried bribeing him to go to sleep? Won't work. And movies before bedtime will actually stimulate him and make it harder for him to relax and sleep.
    Have a short bedtime routine. Bath, brush teeth, 2 stories, lights out for example. Tuck him in, kiss him goodnight, tell him you will see him in the morning, and leave. Lock him in his room. If he wants to scream and cry, let him. If he falls asleep on the floor by his door, it won't harm him. He needs to learn that bedtime is bedtime. He needs to learn that throwing a fit will not get him his way - not even "one more minute". If necessary, take every last toy and book out of his room.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Give this a try take him to his room lay him on his bed and turn the lights out and sit there by his bed giving him no eye contact attention nothing just sit there. If he gets up put him back down, say nothing, return to your sitting position beside the bed and don't engage words with him, It will take some time but he will finally get to sleep. Keep doing that everynight and soon he will get the point of night time and you won't have to sit there at all.. I hope this works for you.
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 2:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Is he still in a crib? Everynight we eat dinner, take a bath, play a little bit, read a few stories, then we go in his room and I give him some books and cars to play with in his crib, he is usually asleep within the hour. At first he would cry when we did this, but eventually the crying stopped. Try that let him cry for like 20-30 minutes, then go in but don't take him out, just say night night and give him a kiss and then leave again for 20 -30 minutes...its hard at first, but now we have a great stress-free bedtime routine :)
    Anonymous

• Put him to bed and tell him he's staying there. If he gets up, spank him and put him back. He's manipulating you and you are letting him. Be the parent and be consistent.
    Anonymous

• When my son turned 2 he had a hard time going to bed in his room. He would cry and cry and throw a fit occasionally at 3 he might throw a fit. But I tried locking him in his room and we had the issue of him smearing poop all over everything because he was mad at us. Then I tried what they show on the nanny shows about putting them to bed once and doing your routine the second time take him back to bed and tell him its bedtime and every subsequent time you put him back to bed and don't say anything to him. And in 2 weeks I wasn't having to lock him in a room he went to bed and if he got up I just stuck with the program. I also make sure they have a good daytime routine as well and get atleast 2 hours of playtime whether indoor or outdoors everyday. Then again I am a stay at home mom and have time to keep their rountines
    danjazz

Answer by danjazz at 7:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2008