Brushing DD's teeth....

She HATES it! She's 20 months and fights me tooth and nail every morning and every night. I try to be as gentle as possible because I'm not sure if it hurts her, or if she just doesn't like it. Has anyone else ever had their toddler act like this with brushing?

HaydensMama07

Asked by HaydensMama07 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, my DD is almost 3 and still isn't crazy about it. The only thing that really helped was making a game out of it. We see how funny a face she can make to let me brush her teeth. I hope this helps you!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My DS hates it. He will bite down trying to stop it and if that wont work he will start screaming like you are trying to kill him....I think its because of the taste of it though...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• This is going to sounds awful but I kind of put them in a headlock when they are that age and not liking it. Just something that they have to learn how to do. My thing to was when they are wiggling around I am so afraid of jamming the toothbrush down their throats or hurting them really badly.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I don't know but maybe get a toothbrush for a doll of hers and have her do her doll's teeth and then it's her turn - you do hers. Maybe this will help.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 9:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yup. both of my kids did. Without arguing with them or coaxing them, I just stood them up on the toilet lid, wrapped my arm around their head to hold them steady, and brush away. If they try to clamp their mouth shut, I use my index finger to brace their mouth open on their back molar. They learned sooner or later that teeth brushing was going to happen whether they like it or not and eventually quit fighting it. Now they just stand up all on their own and patiently wait for me to finish their brushign
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• LOL @ Melbornj! That doesn't sound bad. I pin my DD down when I do hers because it's the ONLY way.

@ karamille - I try to do that, but she usually ends up biting the crap outta my finger. My DS was/is SUPER easy with brushing...he's pretty easy with everything though....
    HaydensMama07

Comment by HaydensMama07 (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Sorry...my DS LOVES it! Dunno y but he does!
    miracle2009

Answer by miracle2009 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• have u tried letting him do it for himself a lil after u have done it a bit? my dd loved it when i let her try herself. she no longer fights me bc i told her she can do it herself, mommy just has to get the sneaky bad germs
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 11:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Have you tried letting her do it first? That is the age I started having issues with DS but I started giving him the brush first. I sang a song and when it was over it was my turn. I sang the same song while I brushed and made funny faces and he was so busy cracking up, it made my job easier. You try not laughing while you are singing a song while your mouth stays wiiiiiiiiide open :)
    kmstockwell

Answer by kmstockwell at 11:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I give her the brush when I'm done and she's fine with that....but she only "brushes" a little and then sucks and chews on it. (which I'm fine with....as I see it, chewing is still brushing them a little!)
    HaydensMama07

Comment by HaydensMama07 (original poster) at 11:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2010