Do you prefer homemade Christmas ornaments and decorations or store bought?

My kids and I prefer the homemade, we love making ornaments and decorations with scented cookie dough, pinecones, cinnamon sticks, evergreen trimmings, dried apple slices, cranberries, popcorn, and anything else we can think of. We love doing the natural stuff. But then again, every year I try to buy them a keepsake ornament too lol. And I LOVE the Thomas Kinkade Christmas ornaments. I would do two trees if I could afford it haha.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 9:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Holidays

• Both. Every yr our grandson makes an ornament in school that is put on the tree
    and ea yr after that these ornaments go up ...
    We will buy 1-3 new ornaments a yr (we put up several 6-8ft trees in the house)
    and have made many... Also when I was teaching my young students often times
    would give me homemade ornaments as a gift and to this day (been retired now 9 yrs)
    I will put them up also on the trees... it brings back wonderful memories and adds a
    special feel to our home...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• We get one ornament each year for each of the girls. Otherwise we already have more than enough ornaments without making any. I guess I am not a big fan of completely home made one but rather a mix between the two.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I love the homemade stuff. Last year was the first year we really made decorations, and I can't wait to do it again this year. My kids had so much fun and they loved the decorations.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I love a mixture of homemade, boughten and antique decorations.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• HOMEAID that just makes ir a better xmas too :) i have hand made ornaments:)
    mama2jaybub

Answer by mama2jaybub at 9:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• All I like on a tree is white lights, red balls and a star topper... Beyond that nothing goes on my tree. But in general I don't like anything homemade, crafts look junky to me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Store bought...but DD is only 4. :-)
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I love homemade. They add a homey touch to the tree that store bought just doesn't bring.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Our favorites to make are the applesauce dough ornaments that smell like cinnamon apples, and they last for years. We use cookie cutters of different designs (our favorites are the stars), and then we just use colored glitter glue to give them a little bit of shimmer. Even the ones my daughter did when she was 3 turned out so beautiful. We don't reuse them all every year, because part of the fun is making more :). And we go to this 19th Century Christmas reenactment of how Christmas was in the early 1900's, and we make homemade ornaments there involving dried apple slices, rosemary sprigs, and plaid colored fabrics. So pretty. This year we are making a pinecone tree and a pinecone wreath...easy and pretty :)
    AprilDJC

Comment by AprilDJC (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• store bought
    lovebunny82709

Answer by lovebunny82709 at 2:26 AM on Oct. 23, 2010