Baby Sprinkle Ediquette?

Okay so I have a question... I know your not suppose to "ask" people to throw you a shower/sprinkle and you can safley "hint" but is it even innapropriate to "ask" your own mom to host it (esspecially if you will help prep and prepare)?

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 9:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I understand how you feel. I loved my baby showers. If your mom wants to give you a shower (and really you shouldn't ask) and she needs help, it would really be more appropriate for her to ask a sister, or sister in law, maybe an aunt or a friend of yours to help.

I understand how excited you are, and the celebration is a lot of fun, if the etiquette doesn't matter to you, then you can do what you want, but if it does, then you really should wait for someone else to do it, and look forward to planning a very special first birthday party.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Well, technically it kind of would be inappropriate. ESPECIALLY if you plan on helping with the preparation because then you are really giving yourself a shower, you're just using your mom as a cover.

If your mom doesn't mind, well I suppose she's your mom, but personally, I wouldn't ask or hint, I'd just wait, and if one of my friends or family offered to do a shower I'd say "thank you!".
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i think if its ur own mom, there isnt nething wrong (if u close). i mean u do things with ur family u wouldnt do with other ppl. and ur mom mostlikely would be thrilled to be a part of a shower for u
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 9:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I should specify that the reason I would help my mom with the prep is because she has had quite a few recent knee and shoulder surgeries and woulld need help in decorating or certain preps possibly- I would only offer to help but not if she didnt want it. but keep the opinions coming... I just LOVED my baby shower 6 years ago with my first ( not the presents nessisarily) just LOVED the celebration and fun games and being together having fun. Also open to any other suggestions....
    hotrodmomma

Comment by hotrodmomma (original poster) at 10:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I don't think so. It's ur Mom and ur willing to help.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 10:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• By the way....the only reason that I'm giving you this answer is that you asked about the etiquette.......that would be the proper etiquette, but again not everyone cares about that..........
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• ohwrite- thank you for you answer. Ans yes I am wondering about the etiquette of it because I also dont want to offend my mom. My only Aunt that lives local threw my shower 6 years ago so I hate to have her do any other one. And I am an only child myself. My SIL would NEVER throw one (she is just far to self centered) - and even if she said she would my MIL would be paying for it (and I know my MIL would not want to throw me one). I dont really have any good friends local - I am just looking to celebrate this little miracle and enjoy this time with others. Your comments are very helpful. For those of you that do think it would be okay to ask my mother- how would you approch it?
    hotrodmomma

Comment by hotrodmomma (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• lots of ladies are helping with their own shower these days. Just be straight with her. No hinting around it so there is no confusion. I hope it goes well!
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 1:32 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• no there is nothing wrong with asking your mom to help you with a baby shower
    lovebunny82709

Answer by lovebunny82709 at 2:35 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• if you dont hint or ask you might never get one. Why not throw your own?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2010