For the love of Heaven, why do people always say that people on public assistance should not have internet?

You seriously can hardly get a job without it anymore. Yes, you could go to the library, but some places have you take tests on a computer before they will interview you, and the library has time limits.

Sure, you could go to a friends, eight, ten hours a day to job hunt, but then how are you to feed your children? You can get decent internet service for fifteen bucks a month where I live.
I just don't get it.
spin off of one of the public assistance questions today.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 10:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You seriously can hardly get a job without it anymore

More importantly - you can't file unemployment without it anymore. We were discussing this in class the other day. Just in time for our state to hit 20% unemployment, they completed the switchover so that the ONLY way you can do your u/e filings in this state is online. As a result, every library system in the state has had to buy more computers they hadn't originally budgeted for to meet the overwhelming demand for computer access.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think it's because the internet is still considered a luxury. I know you CAN get it for $20 or so, but I don't personally know many people that do...most people I know pay $40 or $50 a month.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I don't get it either. In this day and age, people need to be connected. It's not always feasible to go to the library anyway. For all people know, the computer is a dinosaur and they are using dial up.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• "I also remember a tirme when those same poor people were too proud to actually apply for PA. They instead, busted their butts trying to find work and food."

I was too proud to apply for three long years. When I was borrowing babysitting money from my dd to buy food, I knew we had to do something. Yes, I have internet because my dh runs his business out of our home now (overhead was too high to keep the office and his employee), he pays $19/month and we pay $20 for our landline. That's all we have. I work, and recently found a second part-time job, but I can say that for a few months that assistance has been a godsend. I think the cost of living is much higher now that it's ever been. The gas to get to and from work is outrageous, and even public transportation is not cheap. It's comparing apples and oranges to compare the poor of today to the past.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Wellll....$15.00 a month! Woohoo, where do I sign up?
    Yes, the Internet is pretty much necessary nowdays.
    WHo is to say what anyone needs and who can tell anyone how they should spend their money. How rude.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Some people are old fashioned. Without internet, your opportunities are really limited. It is cheaper to have internet service than try to get to the library every time you need to look for a job. It saves money.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Because many think poor people choose to be poor and/or they are cheating the system. They then think that people on pa, and their children, should be punished for their circumstances.

Sad, huh?

Friday

Answer by Friday at 10:32 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Because people who live on public assistance should live in mud huts by a swamp. Where would they plug in a computer? They should also wear no shoes, have flies swarming around them, and eat sand for breakfast, air for lunch, and ants for dinner. Those meals can be supplemented by food stamps, as long as they just buy a little feedstock oatmeal to supplement their sand once a week.  We wouldn't want to spoil them.  They can trek to the library in the nearest town a couple of times a week for Internet access.  It shouldn't be too hard.  It's their fault, anyway, isn't it, that they're poor?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I don't get it anyway. How do they KNOW the person ISN'T at a friends house, work, library, on a free Wi-fi network at just about anywhere, living with or visiting parents, piggy backing (not that that's legal) or even on a cell phone. My Metro PCS phone comes with internet for the 35 a month. The lowest unlimited plan. It's not like home is the ONLY place you could POSSIBLEY be online.

You mentioned the job issue but also school. Try doing online classes at the library. lol. NO internet, no school, no school, no better job, no better job, no improved situation...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:08 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i think maybe its more about buying a new computer that is the luxury even then that is pretty cheap now a days. some people see computers as a luxury. but if you already had the computer before you want on assistance(as many people do) then the internet is as necessary as a phone.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2010