my 11 yr old is having trouble getting to sleep & staying asleep, any ideas?

This last month my 11 yr ds has been having sleeping issues, it is very difficult for him to get to sleep and stay asleep. We have talked & their are no problems, he doesn't know why but it is driving him crazy. He ends up in my room around 1 a.m. he can not spend the rest of his life sleeping on the floor in our room. He hates bedtime because he can't get to sleep right away, we have tried reading, warm baths talking, snack, no snack,excercising,no electronics, music, me laying by him till he goes to sleep. Could it be puberty? He is starting to sprout hair everywhere. We can't keep this up, we are all in need of a good nights sleep. HELP!!

d-4

Asked by d-4 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• It does sound like you have tried everything. Is his mind racing? Usually that is the number one reason people say they can not fall asleep because their mind is on overload. If that is it he may need to find what works for him. Routine is important, to bed at the same time and awake at the same time. He can try waking up extra early 6am, and to bed at 10 or 11 sharp every night.. even though he did not go to sleep well the night before and keep this up for awhile. A lot of activity during the day, play basketball, jog etc and of course no caffeine at all. No pop. tea etc.. at all even early in the day unless it says caffeine free. For the first week try nothing else, no music, TV but a PITCH dark room. If after a week the early bedtime is still not working maybe distracting his busy mind. Watching TV on very low and not a active show, reading a semi interesting book, too good and you dont want to put it down. GLuck
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Also it could be the combination that will help him. I read in your post that your tried these things. But if you set the stage where he is waking up extra early, has a busy filled day, no caffeine, set bed time, extra dark room, even if he does have an over active mind he will be more tired and after a few days his body will adapt to the routine, which mean even on the weekends with no school. Also it would help if he knows he can not come into your room. He may find comfort in that and its keeping him away from finding it where he needs to in his own room. Also, it is very common to begin it at this age....this is the age where they think much deeper thoughts. This is the age girls maybe come of interest, pressure starts, puberty and worry starts, all forms of peer pressure starts....its the start of a rough age...so no wonder they have a hard time sleeping with SO much on their minds.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My son's Dr suggested melatonin for him and it worked wonders!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Melatonin.
    Anonymous

• I would agree with a lot of activity and fresh air. Less sugar maybe. And definitely NO tv or video games for 2 hours before bedtime. He may complain about that- I know my son did- but tell him to read a book, play cards, paint. Slow him down close to bedtime.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:31 AM on Oct. 24, 2010

• We also use melatonin and it helps my son tremendously
    babemakes4

Answer by babemakes4 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• Maybe he getting too much caffene. get decaf drinks. I know when I can't sleep Im think about what happen that day
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2010

• I'd say it's safe enough....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2010

• Cut down his caffeine intake. Talk to his pediatrician for more medical advice.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 6:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2010