somebody stole my cc info...advice needed

I got a call today from my bank that there were suspicious charges on my credit card. They told me there was one from Match.com for 200 dollars for some escort thing, some for netflix,and some other sites I've never heard of. My dh didnt do it and we both still have our cards on us. So does this mean since we didnt lose our cards, that someone got our info over the internet? We both never enter our card online, we only use paypal. So how did this happen?! I'm worried that they are seeing our info by stealing our identity or something...idk what to think. I cant figure it out how they got that info. I just changed our passwords to our bank accounts and paypal account.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• It could have been stolen when you used it at a restaurant or somewhere.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Not to sound rude or anything, but how sure are you that your DH wasn't doing this, other than his word? Sorry, not sure what you can do if it isn't your DH, but definitely start getting your credit reports often to make sure nothing else is going on.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Actually, the same thing recently happened to me, and I'm sure my husband didn't do it. Some of the items were things that he NEVER would have ordered. White Crocs in the wrong size, groceries from Vons.com, it just didn't make sense. He doesn't even have a card for the account it happened on, and I still have my card. I'm still trying to figure out what happened myself. I wish I knew where to begin. I made a police report, but I don't think they'll do much. Most of the items were actually sent to my home!!!!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• it could have been stolen anywhere....anywhere that you have used it.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You should call the credit bureau and put a hold on your credit.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 12:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Will calling the bank and canceling the cc and getting a new one help?
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 12:09 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Contact all three credit reporting agencies,
    TransUnion
    Equifax and
    Exeprian
    You might be able to get them on www.annualcreditreport.com

Report what happened and ask them to flag you so that if anyone shoudl try to establish any credit in your name the flag will come up. Also Cancel that card if you have not already.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 1:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Forgot: File a police report too.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 1:45 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Think back to where you used the card last, before these charges appeared. You might have been a victim of skimming. There is a device that crooks use to steal your info at gas pumps restaurants, etc. Might want to check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_card_fraud
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 2:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• First, you need to dispute the charges. Then you need to check your credit report with all three bureaus and put a note in your file that you believe your identity was stolen. Lastly, if your identity was stolen, you will need to file a police report.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2010