Is it true that people in the Navy never go on land in areas of war (Iraq & Afganistan)?

My cousins bf just signed up and she was telling me about it and why he chose the Navy.
If you know someone in the Navy what exactly do they do?
I want to learn more about what each branch of the military does and I thought now was a good time to learn about the Navy.

cassey.e

Asked by cassey.e at 11:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I was a corpsman for 12 years and I did a tour in Iraq in 2004. My husband is navy and he's done 2 deployments in Iraq. He is a corpsman. I worked in a field hospital and he worked on the river boats.

There's a lot of navy in Iraq/Afghanistan. Corpsmen, Seabees, Gunners Mates, Master At Arms, Culinary Specialists, PS (admin). Pretty much every rating, especially if they go IA (individual augmentee).

There's really no branch of the military safe from Afghanistan or Iraq.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• my dad was a jet mechanic on the uss enterprise during veitnam. he had to go on land several times.
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 11:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My ex was a Marine, and the Navy was their taxi to the sandbox. So yeah, the Navy gets close to those places too!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 11:05 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It all depends on the job and then sometimes that makes no diffrence. All branches have people in Iraq and Afghanistan. Even if their job is normally a "boat" job, they might still be tasked to go work with the cops or some other job. My husband was tasked for convoy duty and that had nothing to do with his job in the Air Force at the time.
    MrsHatch4

Answer by MrsHatch4 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No, it is not at all true

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Unfortunately it's not true. 

Read the following:

Culinary Specialist 3rd Class Jarod Newlove and Hull Maintenance Technician 2nd Class Justin McNeley were driving through a dangerous part of eastern Afghanistan when they became involved in a fire fight on July 23. The bodies of both men were eventually recovered.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2010