How do you know if a newborn has colic?

What are the signs? When does it happen approximately? What can I do to help ease it if my newborn does have it? Shes 17 days old and I know what normal crying is but this crying is not normal.

velvetnbrielle

Asked by velvetnbrielle at 11:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i believe some of the signs are crying non stop gassy and fussy try mylicon drops and whatever kind of bottles ur using u might need to switch i recomment dr browns they are pricy but worth it and playtex drop ins because u can squeeze all the air out
    mama2jaybub

Answer by mama2jaybub at 11:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• as long as you elevate the babys head and she burps no need to buy pricy bottles i buy cheap wal mart 4 doller bolltes in a 3pack they work fine.....sometimes babys just cry.....if you burped her try again maybe its the formula....how long has she been crying for?.....becasue croup is a constant cry all day long it may stop here and their but not for very long....if your worried talk to her doc
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 11:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Colic is inconsolable crying for no diagnosable reason. It is sometimes accompanied by gas, sometimes not. I think that colic is quite often a result of a dairy sensitivy in babies. My son was about 2 weeks old when he started crying and crying for hours on end in the evening (it tends to start around 2 weeks, worsten until about 2 months, then taper off, usually resolving by 4 or 5 months, which is when most babies outgrow dairy sensitivities). I cut out dairy and he was a new kid in two days, once again calm and sweet mannered.

If your baby cries for a long time and doesn't seem to need anything, try cutting out dairy. Switch to a dairy free diet (trace dairy is usually okay, but don't eat milk, cheese, yogurt, etc) if breastfeeding. If formula feeding switch to a dairy and soy free formula (most babies who are sensitive to dairy are also sensitive to soy).

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• For the last 4 days, she has cried maybe for a 1-2 on and off wanting food even after she has eaten 4-7 ozs. She is gassy and her bowl movements have went down from 4-6 to 2-3 a day. She wont burp either she will just fall asleep or she will burp and then get the hiccups. I have been trying the gripe water but she is only 17 days old so I dont know whether I should give her something stronger. Her next appt is next week but Idk what to do until then!
    velvetnbrielle

Comment by velvetnbrielle (original poster) at 11:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My mom told me that when me and my brothers seemed colicky she would warm a towel and put it on our bellies and it seems to help a bit. Good luck!
    kmstockwell

Answer by kmstockwell at 11:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Call your doc. She might have reflux. She's trying to eat more because it soothes the acid burn in her throat. My DD had reflux (she was breastfed) and I nursed on demand, she always ate too much, then proceeded to spit most of it back up because her tiny tummy couldn't handle it. She got some heartburn medication and while it didn't make it 100% better, we definitely saw improvement.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• BTW, I have Dr. Brown, Playtex Ventaire( neck angled), Nuk and Evenflo(neck angled) bottles. All are supposed to help reduce colic, gas, spit-up and other stomach issues but if something is wrong with anything else, then I guess spending all that money was for nothing.
    velvetnbrielle

Comment by velvetnbrielle (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Forgot to add, if breastfeeding, it is also sometimes a foremilk-hindmilk imbalance. If you express a drop of milk after baby is done eating and it is still watery looking and/or baby has greenish poops, you could have oversupply and a milk imbalance. If it looks creamy but baby is still having green poop it could still be an imbalance, but if it looks creamy and there's no green poop then it's all good :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My son was colic. The biggest and easiest sign, was he was crying and I as the mother could NOT soothe him. It ended at about 3 months! The swing was all he even kinda liked. Then one day out of the blue it was gone. The doctor tried everything, nothing worked. The gas medicine didn't even really work.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My baby was especially cranky/crying in the evenings and I attributed this to being overly tired and stimulated from the day. I would make a nice, warm, deep bath to soothe a possible gassy/crampy tummy. I really felt like Milicon didn't help one bit. Swaddle tight and rock/walk/swing/rock. Good luck, they do grow out of this. Don't get too worried about your baby having "colic", I feel like this is overused term. I fresh set of arms does wonders!
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2010