My son is almost 2 and doesn't say his M's? Should I worry?

This is something new for me, I have 3 other kids and don't remember having this problem. He can say words like daddy, papaw, and lots others. When it comes to Mommy or Mamma he says it with a B or T sound. He even does it with N words he knows. Do I call the Dr now or wait til his 2 yr appt. in a couple of weeks. Thanks!!

Nakor21

Asked by Nakor21 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Children frequently substitute one sound for another. My daughter refused to say the "B" sound until about 2 weeks ago. She's 27 months. "Bye-bye" was "die-die" for example. This is very common and very natural. Many kids to this with at least one sound until grade school.
    Just keep saying it correctly. Don't correct him by saying things like "No, it's pronounced MILK, say MILK". Just say "Yes, I'll get you some milk".
    You can play silly games though. An easy one is "follow the leader". Try to get him to copy you making a silly sound. You say "Bah, bah, bah" and he repeats it. After a couple of times, you change it to "bah, bah, bah, banana" and see if he copies you. Once he gets the "rules" of the game, you introduce a sound he has trouble with "mmm, mmm, mmmm-mmmm good" for example. This is a great game to play in the car.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Some kids have that problem just keep correcting and teaching him. My son had a problem with certain letters and how they sound...omg I cannot remember which one it was sorry! But he did get over it. The thing I always told myself before I worried so much about it is they've only had a few years to practice our language when we've been doing it for a long time..
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Have him sing "My mommy made me mash my M&M's" or sing it to him. Hope this helps.
    ljlM

Answer by ljlM at 2:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• a lot of states have FREE screening for development problems. If he's close to his 2yr old apt, then wait until then. In the mean time, see if you can find what I'm talking about. I have heard that boys develop speech slower than girls, and it may be nothing. I would definitely look into it though.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• If you google your state and early invention, you can fill a form out to see if he qualifies for speech therapy, but I would wait until his appoint and talk to your Ped about it.
    Anonymous

• No you dont have to worry at all. I was looking on the Parents website and it said by the age of 2 their only supposed to be saying 5 good words. I was totally shocked! Im sure he will be fine just try and work on his M's :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Wait til your appointment to see if it's anything to worry about it. He may just hear it that way and as he gets older it will get better. Never know.
    Anonymous

• Thanks! These are all good answers and advice! I am going to ask the doctor, but there is probably nothing to worry about. Blessings!!
    Nakor21

Answer by Nakor21 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 30, 2008