How often do you.....?

Wash your car?
Do you take it to a commercial car wash, wash it in a sef-serve car wash bay or in your driveway?
In CT it's illegal to wash your car in the driveway but unfortunately it's only enforced when we're in a severe drought.
I wash my car every 7 - 10 days at a commercial car wash. They capture all of the water they use and have it treated and recycled. Their guys use "brushes" made out of hogs hair which is super soft to prep my car and their cloth inside the tunnel is made of super luxe neoprene (scuba diving suit material). To me a clean car is just as important as the cleanliness of my home. What do you think?

FeelinYummy

Asked by FeelinYummy at 11:32 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I wish I felt like you did. Before I had kids I use to take a lot of pride in my car, because it was a nice sporty looking kind. Now mine is over used! I never give it a bath unless I ran through mud. Also I have no extra money for car wash and I am not motivated enough to hand wash it. I do try and keep the inside as clean as I can since my husband gives a me a hard time when I don't.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• When I know the weather is going to be nice for an extended period of time. Or after the first thaw in the winter to wash off the road salt. Otherwise, I let the rain do it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I live on a gravel road, so not very often. It just gets dirty when I drive back to the house.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• for special occasions only usually. its pretty bad when we do take it. our white car usually looks tan when we go to wash it. we are always shocked at how white it really is after its been cleaned.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 11:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My husband hand washes our car about once a month. It also depnds on how dirty it is and what the weather has been like. We live in Arizona so during fall and winter we get a decent amount of dust storms so sometimes he washes it twice a month, but normally only once a month.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 11:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I take mine through the car wash. Usually only when I'm feeling anal about the dirt.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I really don't mean to be a bitch or a wise ass.. this is a legitimate question in response to dancinintherain's answer "I live on a gravel road, so not very often. It just gets dirty when I drive back to the house."
    My ds pretty much says the same thing to me when I tell him to make his bed. "It's just going to get messed up when I get in it later... what's the point?" It drives me nuts!!!! To me it's the same exact thing... don't you think???
    FeelinYummy

Comment by FeelinYummy (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm with dancesintherain we live on a dirt road and it will be dirty by the time I get home feeling like I have wasted my money to wash it or just as soon as I do it rains then there is mud all over it anyway. I am very anal about making my bed it has to be done daily but I'm not getting back in it after I get up the car is still going to look dirty tomorrow when I get up it's not going to be clean like a made bed it costs too much to keep washing it daily like you would make a bed a bit different to me.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:26 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We live on a dirt road, and spend a lot of time in the mountains. If i wanted to keep my truck clean all the time, i'd be washing it every day. It's a waste of time and effort and money to wash it enough to keep it looking sparkly clean at all times. If i were a prissy city girl who drove a truck that never actually saw anything but pavement, then yeah, i'd keep it clean. But as it is, the little dirt and dust that's on my truck at all times isn't a priority to me. I have more important things to worry about than if my truck is sparkly all the time.

Now the INSIDE of my truck is a different story. Generally, the floors are dirty because where there's dirt, there's mud. But i keep it pretty clean otherwise. It drives me nuts to have a messy truck!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 10:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I take my car through an automatic car wash once every few months. We keep the inside free of trash and junk, but that's about it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2010