How much importance is the "tax issue" when you are deciding who to vote for?

I came across a non-partisan website "Citizens for Tax Justice" and they outline the tax situations under both Obama & McCain...I'm wondering why people are so defensive in regards to this issue when in fact what the candidates say to us before the election and what they actually do after the election is over are two different things....Either one of them could end up not doing anything they promised...then what?
http://www.ctj.org/pdf/taxplansexamples.pdf

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• My rights are far more important than taxes :)
    lillie023

Answer by lillie023 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• People like simple promises. And they want to believe that "their" candidate will follow through.

People don't like complex problems and the government is very complex. Even when a candidate truly tries to follow through on their promises, all they can do is ASK congress to do it. They can write the bill, find a Congressman to sponsor it, but they can't force Congress to pass it. People don't want to hear that at election time. And they certainly don't want to hear that "their" candidate may have trouble keeping promises or that the promises were feel good muck in the first place.

Do you ever really believe the ref when he calls a foul on your team? Of course not. The ref is blind and / or biased. Elections are just one long sporting event to most people.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• People complain about paying taxes, but they want their lights to come on when they turn the switch and the buses to run on time and the roads to be in decent shape etc. Taxes are a necessary evil, they support the common good through programs, services and physical infrastructure we all need and use. I have no problem with paying taxes. I do have a heck of a lot of problems with where my tax dollars go. So no, I don't have a problem with a candidate whose policies will raise taxes. I do have a problem with a candidate whose policies I oppose on principle.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• HUGE
    Obama wants to raise corporate tax= which could lead to less jobs, higher prices, and less corp. development.

Obama wants to raise the capital gains tax and apply it Stock purchases= While the economy is bad now, those of us who have been contributing members to the economy for over 10 years will feel the pain if we chose to sell.

IMO~Obama hasn't stated how he is going to pay for all his $$ CHANGE $$, so something tells me middle class and upper middle class will eventually pay... Who knows, because Obama has no details on how he is going to pay... The wealthy will evade their taxes, shelter their taxes, and How does Obama plan to pay when that happens?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• McCain is about business growth and development. He wants to lower corporate tax to a level competitive with other countries to encourage business growth.
    McCain's tax vs Obama's Tax cut in my income bracket is a difference of a few hundred dollars.
    McCain doesn't encourage a death tax, capital gains tax, etc like Obama does...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Bush had the same idea when he got into office and gave a large tax cut to corporate but they pocketed the cash and took the jobs overseas. Doing it again, could result in the same unless their are regulations put in place to force them to use the tax breaks to create jobs in the US, fat chance on that. I think who ever gets in will have a big surprise when they see what a mess they took over. I don't think a lot will get done but Obama will most likely get us out of Iraq and save soldier lives and 10-12 billion dollars a month from the war.
    Anonymous

• It is hard to be competitive with other countries if our dollar is higher and their wages are under a dollar and hour. I will admit, Bush did help that gap problem on our dollar if you want to call that good.
    Anonymous

• I think it plays a huge role, especially when you're looking at the strong possibility of having a Democratic President and a Democratic Congress. The Democrats could feasibly achieve the 60 senators needed in the Senate to prevent filibuster; it pretty much leaves the Repubs and Independents at their mercy.

It also is important IMO to see their proposals and look at what they're attempting to bring in and what's going to be going out. I'm extremely concerned at the number of spending proposals Obama has, and worried about where the money will come from to support them. I don't know how it is going to work unless taxes are raised (and not just on those who make over $250,000. That number is only 2 or 3% of our nation's population.)
    MammaMiaMA

Answer by MammaMiaMA at 5:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• 3% of the nation population is 180,000,000, people. With that being said, taxing them at 250,000 at 3% increase comes out to be 7500. Which in turn will raise 1,350,000,000,000 in tax money. I say thats alot of money and will make an impact.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• the 1% that makes over a million taxed at 3% will come out to be about 1,800,000,000 raised in taxes.. Put together, in my rough estimate is 1,351,800,000,000. This is of course going off of what Obama tax plain for people making above 250,000 a year. Not to be taken as fact. JUST MY ROUGH GUESSTIMATE!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2008