When do I start my son in pre-school?

My son is 3 1/2 and I am not sure when I should start him in pre-school. I am not sure if I should just start working with him at home and then next year enroll him in school. I am just not sure. This is my first baby that is going to be going to school soon and I don't want him to be behind the learning curve.

cici190

Asked by cici190 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hello, my son is 3 and he just started in sept.:)
    Anonymous

• Is your son fully potty trained at three? That is my biggest concern is that he still occasionally has an accident.
    cici190

Answer by cici190 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• The government has lowered the standards so much in school (no child left behind) that he wont be behind in learning. Keep him home and work with him...then when he's old enough, send him to preschool. I'm homeschooling my kids throughout...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Depends on what your reason is for sending him to school. I put my 4 yr old in preschool this year because I need a break from him. It gives him an idea of what school is like and is teaching him his letters and numbers. But you can teach your son at home just as well as a preschool can.
    shudderette

Answer by shudderette at 4:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i started my daughter as soon as she was old enuff..because they had to be 3 before the end of the year..so she ended up starting when she was 3.5,,,i didnt put her in preschool for the learning aspect tho, i put her in to socialize..and whatever she learns in preschool is just a bonus!! last year she went 2 times a week for 2.5 hrs a day, this year she goes 3 days a week for 2.5 hrs a day..and she loves it..she wishes she could go every day..i think its great to put them in preschool..i think its awesome that parents wanna do it themselves to..but i personally believe its better for a child to learn in a classroom..but thats MYY opinion!! choice is yours!! :) ohh ya they HAVE to be potty trained too..well..at least here they do..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I am the mother of 6 children , my oldest is 23 and my youngest are 4 year old twins. my youngest biological son is now 17 years old. He did not go to pre-school at all and had a hard time adjusting (mainly to the rules) but my 4 year olds started pre-school last year and they are both getting a lot of benefit from it. I do volunteer 2 times a week though. I think it helps me a lot to see how they are reacting to a classroom type atmosphere

cinderellamom2

Answer by cinderellamom2 at 7:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Since there is now an entrance exam for kindergarten I would start him no later than 4 years old in pre-school
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 8:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• When do you want him to start? I'm starting my son in Pre-school a year before kindergarten. He learns so much with me & we are together all day learning new things. If your active with your child then you can teach him the most being with you. He can learn social skills with you until he goes to school as well. We have play time/read books, We meet kids at the park, practice writing his name, finger paint, Bake, clean up & put back. I didn't want him learning other behaviors just yet. I wanted him to learn to be himself first. He's got plenty of time to pick up other habits later.

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 12:48 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• i started my son in a preschool based program at 3 years old...he went for two years...in california you must be 5 to enter Kindergarten...keep in mind that most preschools, at least here in CA are not free..the one my son went to was a Co-Op: involved me volunteering one day a week and parenting classes once a week...he attended classes four days a week from 8-12:30pm.....he loved ita nd is now at the top of his class in kindergarten
    RaulitosMommy

Answer by RaulitosMommy at 4:26 AM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I put my son in daycare when he turned 3 years old. You should buy some work books and start working with him on his letters, shapes and numbers while he's at home. His attention span probably isn't the best, but try working with him for 5 minutes or so a day; and READ READ READ to him as much as he can take!
    JLsMommy29

Answer by JLsMommy29 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 30, 2008