Please Help!!

My son will be 3 in a few weeks. He has recently changed from a wonderful, fun-loving little boy to a sassy, somewhat bratty kid who treats me like I am around only to serve his every desire and whim. I do not know what to do. When he acts up, I used to put him in his room to "relax until he was ready to come back out". Now going inot his room is a game for him.
We have a baby (she is 8 months old now) and he is usually pretty good around her.
He is respectful of other adults- just not really me. I feel like he doesn't listen to anything I say to him. I need advice on how to help my son realize that I am his mom- not his walking mat!! Thank you for any suggestions and advice.
(also, I am at home with my son all day)

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 12:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• With the families I work with, your question seems to come up frequently at his age, so you're not alone. First of all, I would try not to use his bedroom as a room to be punished. Bedrooms should bee safe, happy and wonderful. For the fresh talk, get nose to nose with him and use a firm voice and say, "You may not talk to me like that!" If he's not listening to something that you've asked him to do, you need to take him to it and have him do it even if you have to physically assist him. If he's not coming when he's callied for , go and get him. Just say, "You need to listen." Parents temd to talk too much and go on and on. That show's him you're upset and he feels powerful. If it's just goofy behavior (even though annoying), just ignore him. If beahvior doesn't get attention, it stops. Give consequences (lose favorite tv show, etc.) Be consistent as you possibly can. He needs to believe you mean what you say!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 5:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My only advice would be to do what you say. If you tell him you are going to take away a toy..do it. You don't want him to think you make empty threats because then he wont stop his actions.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:31 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Kids go through stages of trying to test their limits and power. Your son is probably just trying to see how far he can get with you. Just be consistent, it may take awhile. Don't give in to demands, make him treat you with respect. Try a time out chair where he has no toys, books or tv. We actually moved everything out of our son's room and into a playroom so that going to his room wasn't as much fun. Most of all, have patience. It may take time, but being consistent is important. I have 3 sons ages 18, 21 & 28....(does anyone get tired of me saying that??) They've all gone through this at different times....and again later..... just testing the water. Overall they're pretty respectful and appreciative kids at this point....okay, the 18 year old is doing some more testing....sometimes it's hard to be patient and consistent, but it does work.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:25 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think you should be more strict with him. I hope you don't take offense to any of this, though! I mean this in a helpful way. Usually when kids think that their parents are "door mats", that usually means they are not very disiplined (sp?). Take privilages away from him. Like, if there are toys in his room, send him to a corner. Or take away dessert. And make sure you mean what you say. I hope this helps. :)
    fluppyducky

Answer by fluppyducky at 12:25 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• that;s always rough, gl
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My son (3yr) is being the same way! I am cracking down. I refuse to give into his demands. Smack him when he hits me or his siters. I usualy say yes whenever he asks politely for something so that he understands how to ask & how not to. Good lick cuz im still going thro it too.
    My_o_me_x_3

Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2010