how do you get your children to listen?

Most of the time my kids are pretty good, but when they have their bad times they are bad. And all they will do is scream bloody murder untill I can't take it any more and give in. I try talking nicely I try walking away and letting them relax them selves but doing all that makes it worse? How iam I suppose to get them to understand that is not ok and needs to stop?

mamamel0403

Asked by mamamel0403 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I try to be as proactive as possible. My daughter has a hard time minding me if she is very tired, hungry, or upset because I haven't spent enough time with her. So I make sure to feed her frequently, make her take naps and spend time one on one with her. Find YOUR child's "naughty buttons" and keep them from being pushed as often as possible. Some kids get the can't-mindies when they have too much sugar or watch too much TV.

And any time that my daughter misbehaves when all her needs are met, I MAKE her mind. If she won't stop throwing a fit, she goes in her room. If she doesn't come when I tell her to, I grab her and make her, physically. Etc, etc. Eventually she gets the point and minds me when I tell her to do something (until she is over tired lol).

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Try not to give in. Back up and mean what you say. No matter what, do not give in.
    fluppyducky

Answer by fluppyducky at 12:36 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• By never giving in, because that teaches them that if they misbehave long enough they will get what they want.
    And by giving consistent and meaningful consequences every time they misbehave - if the consequence means nothing to them, it means nothing.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:20 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• stop yelling if you are a yeller. Stop lecturing if you lecture. Stop focusing on what you have to say and take the time to listen to what they have to say even if you still disagree.
    iluv2meow

Answer by iluv2meow at 2:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2010