How to get my dd (7 yrs. of age) to learn how to spell?

As she is writing a story everything is misspelled the teacher gave her an F for spelling and a C/D on language.

How can I get her to get on the ball here. Report Cards go out on the 29th.

Thank You Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would talk to your child's teacher and see if there is anything they recommend. It should be between the parents and your child's teacher to come up with a plan to get your kid 'on the ball'. Otherwise make it fun for her...when she does spell something wrong bring it to her attention in a way that doesn't her unsure of herself. You could maybe spell it again and show it to her and say does this maybe look like the right way to spell it? Maybe we should write it again and see how it looks...or something like that. You don't want her to get discouraged because then she won't even want to try. Set up lots of activities for her to do that involves writing. Maybe she can write out your grocery list, or have her go around the house and have her write certain things that she sees, anything that gets her writing.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:48 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I would proofread with her, and ask her to check her own spelling, some of it may be rushing and not editing her work. Then if she doesn't seem to see the errors, I would go over them with her, and ask her how she thinks they should be spelled. Teach her to use a children's dictionary to check the spelling of a word.

On a longer term basis, does she read very much? Reading can really help a child to improve their spelling skills. Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:55 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Encourage lots of reading, help her practice her spelling lists out loud, have her write her spelling words out, ask her to write the grocery lists for you, talk about how words should be spelled, help her to learn how to use a dictionary, play games like Boggle and Scrabble.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:25 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• She will learn how to spell easily by reading a lot. When she sees the words used correctly, they'll stick in her head. This is much more effective than the kill-and-drill often used on spelling homework.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:55 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• encourage lots of reading, and lots of writing ... write a story, then reread it and add details, then reread and check for spelling and grammatics etc.
    How does she do on spelling tests etc?
    I'd also have a conference with the teacher about the assignment, what exactly was involved, what were the directions given to the kids and how long did they have to work on it ... b/c seriously if you are going to count spelling at THAT age you need extra time to go back not to mention lessons on editing etc

G.L.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 2:28 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I saw a post similar to your's a couple weeks ago. Someone recommended the sight www.spellingcity.com. My daughter does great in spelling but still really enjoys this sight. I hope it helps.
    Momto2beauties

Answer by Momto2beauties at 2:44 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• keep practicing with her i do it with my son and he finally got it
    tinker16233

Answer by tinker16233 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2010

• try the website spellingcity.com my child loves it
    mg25

Answer by mg25 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2010