newborn baby

help my newborn baby like to fight his sleep during the day he fine no problems and sleep allday but at night he up for hours and wide awake i tried every thing rocking him etc dont know what else to do for him

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What age is he? Newborns are supposed to sleep sporatically through the day until they start sleeping through the night, then they'll have a few naps per day, usually two.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:48 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It's normal. THis is why they say SLEEP WHEN THE BABY SLEEPS. It's really common for newborns to be reverse-cycled like this because all day your movements rocked them to sleep in the womb. Babies are more active at night in the womb because they are not being rocked to sleep :)

Just deal as best you can until he gets his sleep cycles back on track.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• try not letting him nap to long during the day that way when night time comes around hell b tired n sleep
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My dd had the same problem when she was little. I made it easy to tell when it was night time vs day time. During the day we would play a lot, read books, go for walks, talk, yadda yadda. At night I was quiet, the lights stayed very dim, no playing, and I read, on CM actually, not to look her in the eyes because it will get her heart rate going. Within 2 days she started sleeping through the night with only an occasional wake up. It's hard to not talk and play and sing or even look straight at your child while they are awake to make them calmer but it really helped us!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:53 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• hes amonth old
    mag2727

Answer by mag2727 at 12:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Oh yeah, then your baby will definitely be sleeping round the clock, literally. 15 minutes here, 45 minutes there... Sleep when he sleeps. Besides that, you're not gonna get much right now.

Babies do not have their "internal clocks" figured out yet. They know little difference from day or night, so while you see it as absurd for a baby to be awake during this time, he is just doing his own thing.

In a few months it will straighten out, but for now get used to it.

GL!
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:44 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• To Sandi

Let him sleep as he will. Only being a month old he needs lots of sleep.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 1:45 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Ah I remember these days...I agree...sleep when the baby sleeps. I promise sooner than you think he'll be fixing his schedule. Something that helped me was at night feedig him in a very dimly lit area and then trying to put him right back to bed after feedings. But it is true...as a newborn they just need lotsa sleep :)
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 7:27 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I woke mine at least every 3 hours during the day to nurse, and then would let them sleep as long as they would between feedings at night. It helped them get their days/nights straight. Also, expose him to sunlight during the day and talk or sing to him. At night, keep things very dim and very quiet.

Answer by missanc at 9:35 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• welcome to parent hood thats what newborns do lol)good luck
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 6:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2010