Am I over-reacting because I do not want my family to let my four month old have sips of soda?

I watched my uncle and grandfather with my cousin's baby. They always let her have sips of soda. Even when she asked them not to give her so much. Now, they make comments about how I don't let my baby taste things. They talk to her and say poor thing your mommy wont let you have anything good. Am I over-reacting? I don't even drink soda. I don't think a baby should have it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No you are not overreacting. That is ridiculous to give an infant soda. They should only have breastmilk or formula until 6 months. They're not even supposed to have juice yet, much less soda.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• No you're not overreacting at all. Are they going to pay for the doctors bill when her tummy is upset she's sick? I think not. She should 'nt be having anything beyond what is natural at this point and yoour family needs to respect your decision. If they can't you need to keep your child away from them.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• your the mom. try not to let them put doubt in your head. lots of parents won't let their kids have soda, much less a baby.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• heck no, No baby that young should have soda, nothing except formula/breastmilk and maby cereal. You should delay any kind of sugar as long as possible. The longer it's put off the healthier you grow up to be.
    Anonymous

• No you are not over reacting. Soda isn't good for anyone let alone babies. I have let my FIL slide when it came to gravy at a month old or something like that, I of course kept them up and watched for any signs of allergies and so on. But soda is a no-no in my book. My 5 year old maybe has a soda once a week if that.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 2:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• nope. i got the same thing from my family (still do) my oldest is 6 and while i'll let her have sprite or orange soda occassionally, we have a no caffiene rule.... my family thinks its absolutely ridiculous, but there is no reason for them to have it... and you know what, when you ask my 5 and 6 year olds what they want to drink when we go out 90% of the time they ask for water or milk... apparently I did something right!
    abayhaymom

Answer by abayhaymom at 2:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• um no your not overreacting!!! That baby can't have SODA!!!! What the hell are they thinking....
    JessTorres

Answer by JessTorres at 3:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Are you kidding me?! Your baby has a whole lifetime ahead of her to try things! I would be FURIOUS! Four months is way, WAY too young!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• No you are not. We have this problem on both sides of the family. My mother thought it would be ok to give my daughter a few sips of an Ice Capp from Tim Hortons. His side of the family lets babies drink Pepsi because they think it is good for them for some crazy reason. I rang my mothers neck when I found out what she did. And my daughter is not to be left alone with anyone in his family for any amount of time whatsoever, (for many other reasons also.) My daughter is 15 months old and drinks juicy juice diluted, water, milk, and sometimes strawberry milk. It will stay that way for as long as I have any say in the matter.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• NO! My son is 2yrs old and he still doesn't drink soda. I also have a 10m old and i wouldnt let anyone no matter who it was give it to her.
    Anonymous