does anyone have a good stew recipe? it's cold out!

daniellesalow

Asked by daniellesalow at 2:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Well its not stew but a good chili!! "white Chili"
    1 large can Great Northern Beans
    3 small or (1 large) can Chicken breast (buy the tuna)
    1 8oz bage shredded mexican blend cheese
    1 16oz salsa
    Heat all together and serve with tostitoes chips.
    RedneckMommy88

Answer by RedneckMommy88 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Throw all the leftover in the fridge in a big pot, add some chopped onion, celery, and garlic, and cover w/ water. Add some bullion cubes. And perhaps a can of tomatoes or V8. My kids love this sort of thing. ANd I get to get rid of all that leftovers!
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 2:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• "Hot dog Stew"
    2 pkgs hot-dogs
    1 onion
    2 cans crushed tomatoes
    2 cans stewed tomatoes
    1 can v8 juice
    1 stick butter
    1 egg
    1/4 tsp salt

Slice hot-dogs in cubes set aside, slice onion and statue in butter until soft; add hot-dogs and brown together. In large pot add tomatoes, v8 juice and onion and hot-dogs; let simmer
    In small bowl add 2 cups flour,salt,1 egg and water till mixture is thick. Boil water when water is at rolling boil add spoonfuls of dough to make dumplings boil dumplings until floating at surface or about 15 seconds. Add dumplings to stew heat and serve!
    Yummy..yummy stuff!
    RedneckMommy88

Answer by RedneckMommy88 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Cooks.com has some incredible stew recipes. from really simple to really elaborate. This weekend is the tradional time I make pumpkin stew and serve it in a pumpkin.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• GrnEyedGrandma... that sounds like my dream meal, I'm going to have to check that one out.

Try FoodNetwork.com too, they have some really good ones.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Any type of chicken (boneless if you don't like deboning)... I have a lg crockpot so I will give you a lg portion....
    fill crockpot 1/2 up with water and 1 can chicken broth ( start mine first thing in the morning)
    add salt, pepper, tyhme, garlic salt and powder, I use parsley, basil, and bay leaves I also add 4 bullion cubes and 1 med onion cut up. Let cook for 4-6 hrs.
    Debone if you are doing that after that time... meat falls off bone by then nicely...
    cut up 6-8 med to lg potatoes, 3-6 carrots cut up, (canned veggies are good too) I use french style green beans also and 3 celery sticks diced up...
    cont....next post...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• cont...from prev post...
    Add to pot and let cook, taste, add salt as needed or any other spice/herb you wish too... let cook until your dinner time... roughly around another 2-3 hrs so veggies can soak up some of the broth flavor... thicken with a little cornstarch and water mixture and serve with bread and butter...you can also not thicken it and leave it as soup....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My favorite stew is beef stew even after all these years :) I don't have a recipe per se. I dredge chunks of beef (usually a mix of round and chuck) in seasoned flour (salt, celery salt and lots of black pepper), then brown in a bit of olive oil and butter in batches. When it's all browned I add it back to the pan with some of the seasoned flour, and a bit more butter or olive oil, and a chopped onion, stirring over med heat until the flour forms a roux. Next I add beef stock or broth, stirring until everything is mixed. Put on low heat and simmer for a few hours, until the meat is tender. Add diced potatoes (yukons are good for stew, not too starchy, not too waxy), and sliced carrots, and simmer until the vegetables are tender. You can add whatever other veggies you like. My husband likes his over rice.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 6:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• these are all such great ideas! i want to try all of them. you guys are the best! my SO will thank all of you too, i'm sure! :)
    daniellesalow

Answer by daniellesalow at 11:00 AM on Oct. 30, 2008