Any ideas before I call the repair man?

My dryer has suddenly stopped working. As in, the clothes tumble fine, but they don't get dry. And when I open it after it's been running, the inside of the door looks like the bathroom mirror after I take a shower - all humidified. I took the hose off the back and ran it for a few seconds. It's not clogged on the machine side, and the air heated up quickly. I can't tell if it's clogged in the wall or something (in an apartment building), or if there's something else going on. Meanwhile, I'm going to have to take a bunch of wet laundry to the laundromat tomorrow (I'd rather wash it here... it's cheaper). Any ideas?

Reenieredhead

Asked by Reenieredhead at 1:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Seems to me the thermostat is maybe broken.......or your dryer vent hose is clogged. Some times lint can get trapped in that before the air flow goes out the vent to your wall........and being you are in an apartment..try this:

Maybe take the hose off where it connects to the dryer and duct tape part of the leg to pantyhose onto the end at the dryer to collect any lint and air can still flow thru......see if the clothes dry....just a few shirts.....with that.

IF clothes still do not dry, then I think its a thermostat.

Sorry I am not sure of prices on them, but maybe if you get your part a repairman wont charge an arm and leg......though you can get a new dryer for $150-200.......but I understand....is tough nowdays to buy one much less SAVE for one!

Good luck!!!!!!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 1:18 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Also....when you check the back of the dryer.....make sure it is UNPLUGGED before you take the vent off....and see if it is clogged back there!!!

Maybe there is a hole in the hose? Check it real good for any holes.

Sounds like it IS the thermostat to me though. Hopefully they are not expensive and maybe you can replace it yourself?
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 1:20 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Google it. There are repair manuals online and videos that show you how to do it. Otherwise call the manufacturer or buy a new dryer if possible.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:32 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• There is a website Part Select Repair Forums where you can post your problem and get help from a expert. Hope this helps.
    anniems62

Answer by anniems62 at 1:51 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We had the same problem, and it turned out the vent was caked going out of the building. The maintenance guy took care of it, and we didn't have any problems after that. Try calling the maintenance guy and see if he can check that. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:52 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I agree with musicpisces, call your apartment complex and complain first. Its not likely that your dryer would just stop with no warning signs first. I could imagine if it were your dryer you would have been taking longer and longer to dry a simple load of clothes....sounds like its clogged to me and if its in the apartment walls/vents then your maintenance people are responsible. Save yourself the money and the hassel and call your complex FIRST!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• If you have an outside dryer vent see if it is clogged. We've had that happen a couple of times. Pop off the outside cover and clean off the lent.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• *lint* sorry
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Thanks ladies. A nylon over the air vent and clothes dry fine. The windows are foggy, but the house smells nice! Called the landlord to come clean out the vent outside.
    Reenieredhead

Comment by Reenieredhead (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2010