nibbling 11m almost 12m

I wouldn't consider my ds a biter under the typical definition. he nibbles. he has all four front teeth and when he gets really hungry... he crawls up to me and nibbles. most times on my legs (cause we're playing on the floor) and when i pick him up to take to the kitchen, he'll nibble on my shoulder/ shirt. my MIL has told me that i need to correct it immediately but that seems a little harsh to me. i know that the only reason he does it is because he's hungry. do i discipline him when it's his current form of communication? most times when i notice what he's about to do, i take him and feed him before he can start. i don't like him getting into the habit. i just figured since it isn't full out biting that it's just a phase and he can grow out of it. am i on the right track? first time mom still breastfeeding.

Marri357

Asked by Marri357 at 2:15 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know that it seems harsh because he's a baby. But what do you do it he "nibbles" someone else? It won't be so cute then. Just tell him no nibbling and that you will get him something to eat. He is old enough to show him the sign language form of eat. If you do it enough, he will get it.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:36 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My son is the same age, and when he is hungry he whines. It is really the only time he whines. We are going to start showing him the sign lanuage form of hungry so hopefully he will stop the whining. We are also trying to teach him words like tummy, and food so that eventually he can say those when he is hungry. He doesn't nibble. My oldest nephew was a nibbler, and my sister never told him no because she thought it was mean. She did that until he started doing it to the sitter, and other people. He is not a tiny baby anymore. You do not have to be mean when you tell him no. You can say it softly and still remain firm with him. He will eventually learn.
    Jacobismommy

Answer by Jacobismommy at 12:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2010