Do you believe putting a child on restriction is a good idea?

Restriction on a child also puts you on restricition because you have to be there. What do you think?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 2:18 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• i am not sure the context you are meaning? and for what age child? if you are meaning say a teenager on restriction/grounding you have to consider that the lesson that they need to learn is by far more important than anywhere you might need to be going.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 2:20 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Depends on the offense, age, length and type of restriction. I think restriction definitely has its place.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:21 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I completely agree with musipisces.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:38 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yes I believe in restrictions and I am never restricted when my child/children are restricted...I have friends and family who watch the house and such if DH and I need to be somewhere during their restriction...in fact the children are not ever on restriction at the same time so they seem to police each other when We have things we MUST do...
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• yes I do. I am not restricted when they are. They do get to run all my errands with me when they are restricted though.
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yes I believe in restrition.
    Being a parent puts you on restriction.
    When you decide you want to accept the responsibility of being a parent, you know you will be on restriction for a couple decades.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Regardless of whether you feel that it puts you "on restriction", a child must learn that incorrect behavior brings a loss of privileges. After all, that IS life, is it not? If I drive 100 mph in a school zone, I am likely to lose my driving privilege. If I run naked through the grocery store, I am likely to lose my freedom privilege. "Restriction" is a great tool for teaching children that they must follow the rules. How it makes a parent feel is irrelevant.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:15 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• If that is what is need then so be it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:21 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It was a problem when my kids were little.  My oldest would get in trouble and be grounded to her room.  Because she was always in trouble I couldn't leave the house which meant my younger kids never left the house.

Now that my kids are older and can play outside without me it's not too much of an issue since I normally don't go anywhere anyway.  It doesn't bother me to stay in all day and the kids that aren't being punished go play outside with their friends.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:58 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Restrictions are used to help them grow into the little stuff and into the bigger stuff later. Restriction should not be used for control purposes though, this makes kids feel trapped and cornered. So with restrictions there should be EARNING privileges.
    iluv2meow

Answer by iluv2meow at 2:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2010