Traditions

Tell me about your families traditions.
Anything unusual about them?

LadyCash

Asked by LadyCash at 2:21 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Holidays

• We have a Thanksgiving tradition that started many years ago, called the friendship salad. My mom had always made a fruit salad for holidays, and I was away at college, preparing a meal for friends, but I forgot about the fruit until Thanksgiving morning, but I had no transportation to go get any. A guest called and asked what they could bring, I asked if they had any fruit. They said they thought an apple, I said bring it, and call everyone else that's coming and see if they can bring a fruit. So when they arrived, we had two apples, a banana and a few grapes. I added a bit of orange juice and a little ammaretto. It was a hit, and someone said it needs to be called Friendship salad, and that stuck. Over the years, I've always invited those who might otherwise be alone that day, a co-worker, a neighbor, etc. Our friendship fruit salad is different every year, depending on what is brought, but it's always delicious.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We try to be as nontraditional as possible...LOL...
    Our grandson loves that on Christmas day we have nontraditional meals (that he has picked out months ago)
    I do decorate for every holiday possible and we entertain often for them also...
    This yr is going to be a little different since my MIL can not travel well any more, so we are all trying to
    figure out gathering dates...my grandson (9) says ok, but NOT on Christmas so we can have our nontraditional
    meal... lol... (this yr it's grilled steaks...)
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2010