36 weeks and not even a little bit dilated should I be worried?

It actually really disappointed me, but Im not sure is there a way to tell if that means its going to take longer before I go into labor or could it still just happen at any time?

Jezzeria

Asked by Jezzeria at 2:23 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Honey, being dilated doesn't mean a thing. I don't know why doctors even do those checks anymore. Women go into labor without being dilated every day, and then women walk around for weeks or even months dilated to 4 cm. Every woman and every pregnancy is different. Don't weigh too much on those checks. Don't even bother with them, for that matter. There's truly is no point. There's no need for a check unless you're having an epidural or you feel the urge to push. Otherwise you're just introducing bacteria and I creasingthe risk of an infection that can be fatal.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:26 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• why would you be worried?
    You have about a month left. Dilation means nothing. Is there something wrong with your pregnancy? Why is your Care provider checking you for dilation already?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:30 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I dunno just hearing people who aren't as far along as me already dilated and stuff, just thought maybe you're supposed to be.
    And no they were doing the strep B...step b...whatever its called test, and he said while he was down there he was going to check and see if I was dilated at all.
    Jezzeria

Comment by Jezzeria (original poster) at 2:33 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Are you in labor, trying to deliver?
    If not then you don't need to be / shouldn't be dilated.

Avoid getting checked if you have an emotional response. It's dangerous.
    The check is invasive, ads bacteria, gives you a misunderstanding and unrealistic expectations... better to decline the offer to get checked!

Many women never get checked at all.
    With my pregnancies I have never had any checks.

But I still went into labor and had my babies of course!
    ;-D

Learn more about what it all means before consenting to interventions. This is important.
    Many women will feel needlessly discouraged and consent to UNnecessary interventions = risks.

You can stay safe, strong, patient~ saying no thanks might really help!

Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yes, it can happen at any time.
    You can go from 0 or 1 centimeter to complete in a few minutes.
    Or walk around at 5 cms for a month or two.
    These could happen at 36 weeks or 43 weeks, whatever... whenever.

You *will* labor whenever your baby & body are supposed to.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:44 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I had my baby at 40 weeks 3 days.. I had an internal check at 40 weeks 2 days because i had extreme back pain and iw as getting frustrated.. she said i was dilated 3 cms that night and had the baby the next morning. ( having had acupuncture at lunch time the day before)
    So I dont think dilation matters and being 36 weeks its not a big issue, you can have your baby anywhere between 36 -40 weeks or even more.. so just try and relax. dont worry about others . every birth and baby is different so just try and relax and sleep if you can cause when bub comes you wont be getting much :) goodluck not long now
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 3:27 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i wasnt either at my 36 week app doc said my cervix was still firm high and tight but this past friday my cervix is soft i was 37.4 wks at this last app so at least its somthing! i was still really dissappointed still no dilation im ready for my baby:))
    landonsMOMMY500

Answer by landonsMOMMY500 at 8:36 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I didn't start dilating until a week before my son was born, then the doctor told me that i was barely a one. He was born right on his due date. I know you just want to make sure you're making progress and getting closer to delivery! Hang in there!
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 10:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't be worried in the least. I don't think I dialated with any of mine til around 38 weeks atleast. Best wishes to you!
    MrsWilmot

Answer by MrsWilmot at 10:50 AM on Oct. 23, 2010