Do you think being a vegetarian is a good idea?

My husband is considering quit eating meats and dairy products. Is it a healty enough way to eat? What do you think?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 2:24 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes! There are many ways to get protien other than from meat. I like vegetarian meals, they are quiet meals. I don't believe we should depend on animals for EVERYTHING such as food, clothing, companionship etc. We don't eat much meat as of right now and someday I'm hoping we will be completely vegetarian-still trying to convince my husband.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:27 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• There are plenty of healthy alternatives. Just make sure he takes a vitamin B supplement.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:27 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Going vegan is a very healthy choice! There are lots of websites and books with recipes, and snack suggestions too. I saw one at Barnes and Noble today called going vegan in 30 days. It was a great step by step guide to transition from meat and animal by product eating to a vegan diet. Please tell your husband it is a process, make changes as you are aware of them, animal by products are hiding in all sorts of foods. Sometimes you accidentally eat them, sometimes you have a weak day, and eat cheese in the beginning. Be patient. You will see and feel results sooner than you might expect, but completely eliminating these foods can be kinda tricky sometimes ;-)
    blessedwithree

Answer by blessedwithree at 2:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It can be a very healthy choice if done right. Good Luck
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 3:06 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It is healthy if you do it properly.. i went full blown vegan.. and i didnt eat enough legumes and didnt take ny b supplements or get appropriate iron. ( found in dark leafy veggies).

I was anemic and got really skinny.. but if you do it right it is a great lifestyle. I want to get back on to it but i need to research reciepes better.. thereis a great site call www.vegweb.com which has so many reciepes to choose from.
    remember oyster sauce can be made from oysters, color 120 is made from the colouring of crushed up beetles( not sure of the name) gelatine is an animal by product. Cheese has casein in it which is usually the enzymes in the stomach lining of cows.

depends on how strict he wants to be.. you can still be vegetarian and eat eggs and milk, if you so choose. just make sure your getting protein, iron, calcium etc.
    goodluck with it and i admire him on making the transition :)
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 3:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• As long as you get enuf protein from other sources and take a multi-vitamin, you shouldnt have a problem. My daughter has been a vegetarian for the last 4 years and all is well...she just hates tofu, has peanut butter instead.
    Rosemirrors

Answer by Rosemirrors at 4:48 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It's a very healthy lifestyle, if done correctly. I am 34 and have been a vegetarian since I was 9. I am in excellent health. I eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetable, whole grains, and legumes. I do eat peanut butter, some dairy, beans, and tofu products to make sure I am getting plenty of protein. I also take vitamin supplements to fill up any little nutrition holes that may exist, but that's probably a good idea even if you're not vegetarian.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:42 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I think it is smart.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:05 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Its a personal choice. Only those themselves can try and see. Many people do quite well on it.
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 2:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yes. You will need supplements (Iron) and it is work. Well that is what I think, there is alot of preparing and buying. MOst everything is fresh and perishable. But wow I feel great! Look up some good websites.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2010