do you agree or disagree with "participation" awards.

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 3:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Mostly disagree
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:38 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• If it's just for participation, it isn't an award; it's more like an attendance record.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:28 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Disagree...especially if the participation awards look the same as those for actual achievement!

I think we have become a society that rewards mediocrity, instead of striving to achieve, we strive to exist! There is no motivation to excel, to push oneself, to reach goals...the message is we're all the same, no one person is better than another, so why even try!

I participated in sports when it was an HONOR to receive a RARE trophy or medal or varsity letter. When I became a swim team coach, I continued in the tradition of giving everyone a participant award, but much to the chagrin of many parents, I surprised about a dozen EXCEPTIONAL swimmers (out of about 65 swimmers) with ACTUAL achievements (and really big trophies) to highlight their achievements!! The following season, my team enrollment DOUBLED, because now there was a reason to push oneself! And that year I added special sports gifts PLUS the big trophy! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• DISAGREE!!! When I was a kid if you lost you lost and you were taught that winning isn't everything. Now a days kids feelings get hurt so they get a little thing for participating and it teaches nothing but to be a poor sport!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I never liked them, even as a kid. What use are they? Trinkets that are a waste of materials and space.

However, I have no problem at all with awards like "most improved" "most enthusiastic" or whatever. Just so long that there's not too many and they are still special (we had about 3 for every 20 kids on our team). It helps less talented kids (like me) have something real to shoot for. Many ways to excel.

Even very small kids realise when an award is really an award and when everybody gets one just for showing up. If you are going to give everybody something to remember being on a team, you can make it useful, like one year our swim team gave all the kids a really nice towel with their initials on it. Everyone used them for years. I still have mine. Every kid gets something, but we did not try to call it an award.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 11:52 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Highly disagree!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:59 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I agree with participation certificates...something to remind the kids that they were involved but it should just be a slip of paper, not an award.  And they shouldn't make a big deal or get them at an awards banquet or anything.  Just hand them out on the last day or something.

Awards should be for those that actually won the tournament or contest or whatever.  If everyone gets an award whether they win or not then what's the point?  There's nothing to shoot for.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:18 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Participation ribbons are to encourage the kids for participating in the activity and event. I give out participation ribbons for my dance program to let the kids know I am PROUD OF THEM for participating in one or three seasons. If a kid misses the award ceremony the parents are always calling me to collect their ribbons. I don't about the rest of you guys but I do know my kids look forward to the new look and new participation ribbons each year in the spring.
    iluv2meow

Answer by iluv2meow at 2:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I'm neither for nor against.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Yes. Because most kids do not actually get recognized or feel connected to schools or other activities. It isn't always about preformance. It is about letting that child know your recognize they hung in there and did a good job just by being plugged in. It goes along way in encouraging and letting a child feel like they did something great. Let's face it, most things are for the superstars of the school or on sports teams. Not everyone is a superstar. Actually I just read a great book by a well known famous pyschologist who works with kids and says what is wrong is not feeling connected to schools, sports, community. All kids want is recognition. They don't have to be the superstars. But imagine just being average at everything, you are a good kid, but never once getting the recognition you deserve. And let's face it, your kids ARE just average. You think your kids are headed for the NBA tomorrow?
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2010