Should I be tipping my babysitter? How much & how often

My kids, ages 3 of December & 15 mo, go to an at home care provider. She has other kids, & feeds them lunchs. Of course. They are both still in diapers & I feel she is reasonably priced. I think she plays with our kids and overall is doing an excellent job.

They are only there part time & for the most part my needs are sporatic so she has been & chooses to be flexible with us.

My question is, should I be tipping her, how often & how much? I don't know who else to ask. Can anyone please help. Thanks!

lotsofchange

Asked by lotsofchange at 2:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• You don't usually tip babysitters/daycare providers. I do usually give my kids' sitter a bonus at Christmas time to thank her for the excellent care throughout the year.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• tipping is up to you and for how much is also up to you, you already pay her a weekly rate and that should be enough if she feels she's not getting enough she'll raise her fees, I'm also an in home care provider or at least will be and i wouldn't expect a tip. if you feel you want to do more for her, maybe bring snack for everyone or maybe lunch (with her approval)
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 2:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i would give her an extra $100 if you have the money. Whatever you give her it will make her feel better and appreciated. And believe she will continue to take goo dcare of your kids.
    SaferAtHome

Answer by SaferAtHome at 2:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Just do Xmas and her Bday. Tipping isn't really that necessary. If you are still feeling like you want to give her something, do a gift card.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 3:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I was just gonna give my sitter presents on holidays from my daughter and I just to show our appreciation.
    Heaven0802

Answer by Heaven0802 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I'm a daycare provider and I would feel wierd if someone gave me a tip. I have a signed agreement with each family stating what my rates and paydays are and if they gave me more I would be a little confused, like maybe they expect extended hours or something. However, a nice gift, bonus, or gift card at christmas is a different story..LOL!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• When I did this, I decided to give a little extra every week. At Christmas, I would buy a gift from us. If I hadn't given more weekly, I would have given a Christmas bonus, maybe $100 bucks. If she is part time, less would be appropriate, maybe the equivalent of a week's salary.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• When I used to work crazy hours at the hospital I used to give her at the end of the month an extra hundred bucks that was just me I am was very genorous to her because she would take care of them from three am to 11am then from 5am to 1pm when I would do double shifts.I made a lot of extra money thanks to her not even my mom would not be able to handle those hours she was the best babysitter ever.She was like a second mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2008