Not wanting to keep her clothes on...

My daughter will be 3 tomorrow and she doesn’t like clothes. I get her dressed in the morning and 15 min. later she has her clothes off, she does keep her underpants on. She also keeps her clothes on while we are out, at someone else’s home or if we have people over, she only takes them off when it is just us at home. I really have no problem with it, but my husband complains about it, he doesn’t think I should let her walk around the house without clothes on .
What is your opinion?

Amlinich

Asked by Amlinich at 6:27 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sure the boys will love that ;-) lol j/k !! lol
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I wouldn't let her either. You teach them the most important things when they are young. If she's just able to always walk around in her panties, what's going to happen when she's 12-13-14? Going to still let her walk around naked?
    You better break this now!
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 7:11 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It is extremely normal for a child her age to want to not have clothes on. My husband was also uncomfortable with it when DD went through that stage, but he understood that it was just that...a stage...and that she would grow out of it in the next few months just like every child does. As long as it's in the privacy of your house, I really just do not see a problem with it.

Consider yourself lucky that she keeps the panties on!! :-)
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:36 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Just teach her. When she takes them off, calmly tell her "NO" and help her put them back on. Don't allow it sometimes and not others - that's confusing.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:39 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• It is a normal stageand she is keeping her clothin on when other people are around so really it is not a big deal. No it will not continue it her teens. There are a lot of things that we all did at 3 and 4 that we never dreamed of doing at 13. When was the last time you saw a 13 year old run up to their mommy crying for them to kiss a boo boo? Or beging for their mom or dad to snuggle with them? This too she will out grow.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My almost 3 year old does the same thing. She would live in undies if she could. I just keep getting her dressed! Most of the time she does take her undies off though, she gets completely naked to go potty so it is a constant battle.
    chillybreeze

Answer by chillybreeze at 3:02 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My ds used to do this too, he would still rather run around in his underwear but i mkae him wear clothes. We just told him no he had to wear them and put them back on him. Eventually he stopped. The only porblem we have is his shirt at bedtime, which he dad does lol.
    My_o_me_x_3

Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• The more attention that you give it, the more she'll want to do it. I agree with you. There is really no problem with it at all. She knows when to keep her clothes on at appropriate times, like you say. The parents that I work with frequently have the same issue with their child. If you show you child that it really doesn't matter by not giving it attention (I don't mean you, but your husband), the less "power" it has for a reaction. Ignored behavior will stop when she loses interest and no one else is really caring about it!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 5:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• i agree
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 10:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2010