Do you feel that church is necessary to get thru life?

And do you enforce that on your kids?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Religious Debate

• No I don't think it's necessary... Having a strong support system surrounding you is what's important. You have family and friends that you keep very close to you for these reasons. I believe that when my daughter grows up she can make her own decision about religion and if she chooses to follow it or not. I don't keep religion out of her life either. My parents were both brought up in religious family and we speak of it occasionally. My SO was also brought up in a very religious family. We have both come to the same conclusion that she will make her own choice.
    MandaLea

Answer by MandaLea at 10:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I don't feel churches, religion, or dieties of any sort are a necessity to life. If your stuck on a desert island, its not the Bible or a God that's going to keep you alive, its going to be yourself and your own abilities to keep yourself that way. MHO as well.

Food, water, shelter, warmth. Those are all you "need" to be live. Plenty of people live full happy lives without having any religion in any way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Nope.  I'm getting through life just fine without it thank you.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:29 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No...and I never "enforce" anything except honesty,caring and self-respect ....that can be achieved without church.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Church itself is not necessary to get through life. But God is. God plays a major role in our family. We're very religious and truly love God. Church is just a way to worship. We do attend church, but it's not necessary to get through life. Believing and talking to God is. JMO
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 7:08 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I don't, no.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Not at all!

Answer by older at 9:34 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No. Neither church nor religion is necessary. It's more than possible to raise children who don't curse and yell while still living in a home that doesn't worship. . . anything. Worship isn't necessary. People are capable of living good, happy lives and raise decent, respectful and happy children without indoctrinating them into a faith. It's also possible for people to go to church every Sunday and still manage to raise foul-mouthed juvenile delinquents.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No and no.

You don't need church or belief for that matter to be a good person, to have morals, to be kind and caring, to stay out of trouble with the law and all that sort of thing. We all seem to be doing fine and havn't set foot in a church (other than weddings).

*I DO think however that *some people need it (not to be a good person, but for being around other people as a social thing and for sanity)...my mom is one of them- if you took church from her she would be LOST
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:02 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• No and NO!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:49 AM on Oct. 23, 2010