How long do you force your kids to go to Church with you?

until they are too big to physically force?
manipulation? threats?
or do you let them make their own decision?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:01 AM on Oct. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was forced to go-even into my early 20's.
    If I was staying/living in their house, I was going to church. They would use threats and bribery to get me to go.
    When I was a kid, I went without any problem, I mean you get snacks, you get to sing and play with other kids and do projects and hear about how God loves you...but as I got lolder, I just wasn't feeling it anymore and the older I got the more rediculous I felt going.

don't force your kids to go (if they are old enough to stay home or can stay with someone else)- it very well may cause issues between you that are very difficult to fix. There are no guarantees that forcing them will make them into believers- they have to learn, explore and find out for themselves what works for them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:10 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My husband and I raised 3 children in the church. We never had to force any of them to go. To the contrary, they were at times more excited to go than we were. Today, they are 40, 37, and 33 years old, and all of them are active in the church and their children are excited to go, as well. I see this question asked a lot, and I think there is something more involved than meets the eye. I myself was taken to church every time there was an opportunity to go, and I have never wanted not to go. So based on my generational experience, there must be something else at play if a child has to be forced to go to church.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:54 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My parents forced me to go to church and even as an adult "expected" me to go....no way! I will NEVER ever force my kids to attend church. I am a Christian, but I do NOT believe that a personal relationship with Jesus can or should EVER be forced upon ANYONE no matter what their age is!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:32 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• We manipulate and force I kids to do a lot of things, like their homework and chores. My kids like church right now but if they didn't want to go I would force them because they can't stay home alone and kids can be given too many choices,  it's up to parents to decide which rules to enforce.

I wouldn't tell another parent to take their kids to church, but for us that's what we do. When they are old enough to stay home alone and if they don't want to go, I wouldn't make them. As they get older they are given more responsibility and with that more opportunity to make more decisions for themselves. Right now though it's not even an issue.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• DH and I do not go to church nor would we force it upon our children

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 4:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I would never ever force my child to go.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• She can make the decision herself on if to go or not....but only once she is old enough to stay home by herself.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:32 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I had jammed down my throat as a kid and now am totally against it. I played along for my parents' sake, but once I was free of the nest I never stepped foot in a church again. Nor do I swallow any of their beliefs. They don't make sense to me as a logical, thinking person with a scientific mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• When he was first born he came with us and sat with us, but we no longer attend - at least not usually. He's still so young that he loves going to church and going to the play room with the other little kids. But we hardly ever go and if he were to say he doesn't want to we wouldn't.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Our children are still young, but they enjoy church. As they get older, they will be expected to attend with us while they are living at home. Like NannyB said, more often than not, they are the ones who get us going, they want to be there. They expect, on weekends, that we will be going to church. DH and I were both raised this way, and as adults have made the choice to either continue in the beliefs we were raised in or not and I'm sure my kids will do the same.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 9:38 AM on Oct. 23, 2010